Author Topic: Substance & UE4 - Material variation on multiple objects  (Read 8042 times)

Hello,

I created my own substance that I can easy use in few places. I exposed all settings that are needed to make my textures unique, but any changes are updated on all meshes I added material.

Do I need to import same Substance file again & change name then use other settings and apply to my mesh? Or there is any other and better way to achieve that.

Cheers & sorry for poor English.

I can't be entirely sure since I haven't venture to this part yet, but with UE4's own material, you need to assign your object with construction graph and assign a dynamic material instance.
Which I assume you can derived from whatever material you imported from designer.

I have been try this out..

Turn out you can't have overlap uv map per object.. Because of lightmap, multi-material affect that.

Thanks for answers, will try to experiment with dynamic material and Blueprints - at this moment don't see any other and easier way :(

Hi, I was wondering the same today, do you have any updates if there's a better way than duplicating the substance?
you need to assign your object with construction graph and assign a dynamic material instance
Ill have to try this..., shame that theres no information about this, since this is the most important aspect for useful procedural substances.

Hi, you can create multiple instances out of a same Substance packages, just right-click on the instance factory and create additional instances. Each instance has its own textures, which means it's taking more resources.

I have been try this out..

Turn out you can't have overlap uv map per object.. Because of lightmap, multi-material affect that.

Hello,

In this case, you need to have a second UV set on your mesh for lightmaps that doesn't have overlapping UVs.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Really? I didn't know that part. How can I use 2nd set for lightmap?

Just create a new UV set (channel) in your 3D application, after that import/reimport your mesh in UE4. From that point you just need to preside in the Static Mesh properties (from the content browser, now the properties from the detail panel) which channel to use for the lightmap. The rest should be handled by the engine when baking the lighting.

More info here :
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/StaticMeshes/LightmapUnwrapping/index.html
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.