Author Topic: Unity 2018.1 Support  (Read 20110 times)

I have a question that I think best fits here into this thread:

I'm currently on Unity 2017.4.1f1 and get quite a few warnings due to ReliefTerrainEditor.cs (from Relief Terrain Pack) having references to ProceduralMaterial and ProceduralTexture. The question is: What is the best way to remove this warning without breaking future compatibility with Substances?

I have a question that I think best fits here into this thread:

I'm currently on Unity 2017.4.1f1 and get quite a few warnings due to ReliefTerrainEditor.cs (from Relief Terrain Pack) having references to ProceduralMaterial and ProceduralTexture. The question is: What is the best way to remove this warning without breaking future compatibility with Substances?

Hi,

For the 2018 plugin, we are not using ProceduralMaterial and ProcedrualTexture. The new API is different. I think you can go ahead and remove those references from the script.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

EDIT:  Appears to be issues on my end.  Works now.  Sorry for the alarm.

I've been trying to go to the links provided on the Unity asset store page for Substance in Unity Documentation and Upgrading a 2017 project, which from what I can tell in the tutorial video, has a custom package that needs to be downloaded.  Neither link seems to work for me.  I asked a friend to try from a different location and he wasn't able to view the pages either.  Anyone else having this issue?  I need to upgrade a 2017 project and I'd like to read the overall documentation.
Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:43:05 pm

EDIT:  Appears to be issues on my end.  Works now.  Sorry for the alarm.

I've been trying to go to the links provided on the Unity asset store page for Substance in Unity Documentation and Upgrading a 2017 project, which from what I can tell in the tutorial video, has a custom package that needs to be downloaded.  Neither link seems to work for me.  I asked a friend to try from a different location and he wasn't able to view the pages either.  Anyone else having this issue?  I need to upgrade a 2017 project and I'd like to read the overall documentation.

Hi Trey,

The documentation site is up and running. Are you having trouble using this link?

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Unity+2018

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I have an asset that makes quite a lot of use of ProceduralMaterials so even after importing your asset I still get nearly 30 ERRORS, not warnings.

So far what I have read is "Yeah, we don't use them any more since the new API is different. Just delete that code"

How does that work exactly? Your API is different how? How will the scripts just magically start working by me deleting all variables of type ProceduralMaterial and all functions that do anything with them?

That makes no sense to me

So far what I have read is "Yeah, we don't use them any more since the new API is different. Just delete that code"

How does that work exactly? Your API is different how? How will the scripts just magically start working by me deleting all variables of type ProceduralMaterial and all functions that do anything with them?

I don't think he was saying the code will just work after removing references to ProceduralMaterial, but that the ProceduralMaterial class is no longer what substance integration is based on. The plugin has its own classes for substances and their graphs (Substance and SubstanceGraph respectively), all of which is contained in the Substance.Game namespace. Those are the classes you will need to reference and interact with to utilize substances in 2018.

Updating the substance art assets from 2017 to 2018 is a much better experience than updating code related to substances. Indeed the code changes that have to be made are nothing trivial, especially since there are still some kinks being worked on for runtime support across all platforms. This is unfortunately one of the major pain points that resulted from substance support being moved to a plugin structure. Overtime I believe the plugin will be much better overall than what we had before, but it's certainly going to be frustrating for devs until that point is reached.

I don't think he was saying the code will just work after removing references to ProceduralMaterial, but that the ProceduralMaterial class is no longer what substance integration is based on. The plugin has its own classes for substances and their graphs (Substance and SubstanceGraph respectively), all of which is contained in the Substance.Game namespace. Those are the classes you will need to reference and interact with to utilize substances in 2018.

Updating the substance art assets from 2017 to 2018 is a much better experience than updating code related to substances. Indeed the code changes that have to be made are nothing trivial, especially since there are still some kinks being worked on for runtime support across all platforms. This is unfortunately one of the major pain points that resulted from substance support being moved to a plugin structure. Overtime I believe the plugin will be much better overall than what we had before, but it's certainly going to be frustrating for devs until that point is reached.

Yes, this is what I meant :) Thanks @Synthoid for your articulate reply. I'm sorry for not being more clear in my post above. Messages from us that don't adequately explain processes just makes this entire situation that much worse and I'm very sorry for that.

The procedural material class is not longer what the API is based on. We currently don't have a way to port scripts from upgraded projects. Unfortunately, this is a byproduct of the substance engine being removed. The new plugin is a completely new object in unity and it has different levels of access than the native integration had. Because of this, nothing from the original procedural material API can be reused. We had to start over which has also been a huge pain point for us as well. But as developers that is our job so the real issue that hurts us the most is the trouble it causes our users. 

The new plugin will definitely grow to be better than the original integration as we control the entire process now. We can do things with the new plugin we were not authorized to do before. Unfortunately, it's been a very drastic and painful change for devs. We would have not gone down this route given the choice. That is why we decided to launch in an open beta so that we could get the plugin out there and gather sufficient feedback. Please know, your feedback is heard and taken very seriously by the team.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com