Author Topic: Substance Painter 2017.4.0 - Unreal Editor Live-link fails to send, FBX invalid  (Read 4121 times)

Have tried searching, have not been able to find an answer.

My Unreal Editor, Substance Painter, and Substance plugin are all up to date. The menu link to send to Substance appears in my Unreal Editor, however, upon doing so I get this error message in Substance Painter:

[Plugin - dcc-live-link] meshFile file:///D:/%5BFiles%5D/Frames_pictures_Collection_fbx/Frame_pictures_classic_08_fbx/Frame_pictures_classic_08_autoUV.FBX isn't a valid url on an existing file

I've had the same error message pop up with multiple meshes. I've tried manually exporting from Unreal Editor and importing into Substance with no problems.

Anyone else experiencing this, and how to rectify it?

If you move your files into an other folder, not named "[Files]" does it work ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Upon your prompting, it seems that I moved the original location of the meshes into another folder - and the references that Unreal/Substances were using were referring to...as the error said, a link URL that wasn't invalid. Moved the files back into the original reference path, and all is well.

URL referencing to source issue. Figured this out. I was assuming that Unreal/Substance would export the uasset in Unreal and directly import it into Substance - not requiring a source FBX sitting elsewhere.

Thank you for that prompt.

Just to ask now that I'm here - what would be the best practices with regards to setting up files in order to utilize the Substance link?

For instance, if I buy something from the market place, and create/add it to the project - select the mesh/uasset to send to substance - it encounters the same problem with invalud URL referencing. What would be the best practice workflow wise to adjust things in order to set it up for Substance Painter to work with Unreal Editor via the link?

For instance, if I buy something from the market place, and create/add it to the project - select the mesh/uasset to send to substance - it encounters the same problem with invalud URL referencing. What would be the best practice workflow wise to adjust things in order to set it up for Substance Painter to work with Unreal Editor via the link?
You need a source mesh file in order to do that, that's why you get an invalid url error.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

You need a source mesh file in order to do that, that's why you get an invalid url error.

Understood - still wrapping my head around all the packages and how to integrate them, it's been quite daunting. Thank you for bearing with me, and for clearing this up :)

The dev-team of the plugin suggested me the following workaround when the source mesh is missing :
1. Right click on the asset in the content browser and go to Asset Actions - Export.
2. Export the fbx somewhere.
3. Right click on the asset in the content browser again and click Reimport.
4. Choose the mesh that you just exported.
5. Send to Painter should now work.
-----------

The dev-team of the plugin suggested me the following workaround when the source mesh is missing :
1. Right click on the asset in the content browser and go to Asset Actions - Export.
2. Export the fbx somewhere.
3. Right click on the asset in the content browser again and click Reimport.
4. Choose the mesh that you just exported.
5. Send to Painter should now work.

Thank you, very much obliged. Hope this thread helps point others in the right direction in future :)

why is SP linkin with Unity when im using UE4 ._. theres a Unity Icon in SP

why is SP linkin with Unity when im using UE4 ._. theres a Unity Icon in SP
Please open a dedicated thread for your issue.
-----------