Author Topic: How to debug functions?  (Read 831 times)

For image data we can always double click a node and inspect the result in the 2D view.

Now, what about for functions? How do you guys debug a function tree and inspect what values are being output?

More over can a function be evaluated per pixel? Or it's just to guide parameters?

Thanks
Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:51:53 pm

There are ways to do this... I'll set function parts as outputs as I go along, dividing by the max expected result if necessary, so I can get a grey value as a result. If I want a pixel specifically I can set the input X and Y's as float values temporarily, and switch back to my swizzled $Pos later.

You've lost me at $Pos :/
Is that a intrinsic attribute?

Do you have a simple scene at hand?

Sounds like a workaround, but at least it's something :)

It's super akward that Designer doesn't display variables values, having to guess when a function is not working as expected is very unproductive.

At least for more static functions it should be possible to display the value of a variable. For example functions that only depend on exposed parameters.

It's super akward that Designer doesn't display variables values, having to guess when a function is not working as expected is very unproductive.

At least for more static functions it should be possible to display the value of a variable. For example functions that only depend on exposed parameters.

I agree. And for pixel processors it would be nice if it just used the first sampled pixel or allow to enter a 'ghost' value.
Esger van der Post.
Texturing addict.