Author Topic: Materialize Contest - Pearls  (Read 2594 times)

Hi everybody! I decided to reproduce a cute pattern of pearls.

Ref:

WIP:

I wonder if it is possible via panorama map to achieve such "golden" reflections using PBR material?
At the moment, I use the metal mask for it.
Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:13:55 pm

It seems it's necessary to make the panorama map even brighter.
Or go beyond the requirements of the pbr validation for the color map.

Your shapes are looking very strong and it's very nearly there.

This was one I was tempted to do myself, but when I investigated it further it seemed to be some kind of polymer pushed against glass with maybe a vacuum/suction effect distorting the shapes. That's my best guess, anyway. Here's the project I found: https://www.behance.net/gallery/54175557/Visual-experiment-02

As it's quite a thin material, I guess there's a lot of light scattering through, and that's possibly why you're having to push your exposure so high, when really you want to allow the light to come through from behind. While I'm not entirely clued up on Designer, I'm assuming this is where MDL graphs come in and you can define the thickness of your material? Perhaps one to query.

Nice one, I agree with CptQwark, the MDL graphs should be an option to recreate that specific conditions.

Here's the project I found...
While I'm not entirely clued up on Designer, I'm assuming this is where MDL graphs come in and you can define the thickness of your material?
Thanks for the tip-off. Those experiment on visualization looks pretty convincing.
Yes, in MDL it's possible to set up the level and depth of the subsurface scattering. Even there is a graph template for this.

I agree, if in MDL graph to add another transparent coating with a high level of IOR this should solve my problem with specular reflections of the material. But since I selected a GENERAL Category experiments will be later.

Hey, I'm keen to enter this one in the MDL contest but I would have thought the whole material would need to be done in MDL using many layers for the different colours facing the view angle with different IOR. That's how I'm trying to approach it anyway, just using a normal map from a substance graph for the geometry. How did you get so far with just a regular PBR shader? You have the orange specular quite accurate and even the "gray rings". How much of that is baked in to the colour map vs utilising metallic texture, etc?

It seems it's necessary to make the panorama map even brighter.
Or go beyond the requirements of the pbr validation for the color map.

Hey, I'm keen to enter this one in the MDL contest but I would have thought the whole material would need to be done in MDL using many layers for the different colours facing the view angle with different IOR. That's how I'm trying to approach it anyway, just using a normal map from a substance graph for the geometry. How did you get so far with just a regular PBR shader? You have the orange specular quite accurate and even the "gray rings". How much of that is baked in to the colour map vs utilising metallic texture, etc?
I do not think that it is necessary to create many coated materials with different IOR, one translucent material with the Fresnel reflection at sharp angles should be enough. The key to the reflections is the panorama map, which can be created directly in the SD. In addition to the normal map, I also use the height map, which, while distorting the geometry, in PBR mode does not create a light scattering. Therefore, for MDL, you need to create a white matte material coated with another translucent material that reflects light only at sharp angles (f.e. from the translucent template).
I use the Color/Metallic/Roughness workflow, so the color of the reflections is obtained from the panoramic map (except for gold material), the rest comes from the color. In MDL, the color of reflections can also be obtained by the color tint of the coated material.

Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:56:11 pm