Author Topic: need help with recreating a shape  (Read 2584 times)

Hi everyone ,

please i need to recreate this shape in designer just for the height , any hint to how i start the shape would be appreciated.

thank you.

It looks like a flat surface with a repeated shape cutting out of it. The shape in question looks like a rounded edge square wit another rounded edge square inside it at a 45 degree angle, then a rounded bevel between the two... It's hard to explain
Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:51:26 pm

It looks like a flat surface with a repeated shape cutting out of it. The shape in question looks like a rounded edge square wit another rounded edge square inside it at a 45 degree angle, then a rounded bevel between the two... It's hard to explain

Hi mattywyettsimmonds ,

Thank you for helping me out , actually this is for the materialize contest and i'm running out of time ,but i can't get the rounded corners on the square shape like you did ,

i followed your steps but on the quantize node i don't have the same corners you do .

What i want to achieve is the heart shape carved into the flat surface show with red below in picture 2

Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:26:14 pm

can you use any bit map? at all??  If so, want I do is start off with rounded square from something I made in Photoshop, its faster and looks better.  If you are allowed, I dunno anything about the contest as I been busy with clients, games etc..

So if so, that will be faster and better to start with..is a rounded square from Photoshop.

can you use any bit map? at all??  If so, want I do is start off with rounded square from something I made in Photoshop, its faster and looks better.  If you are allowed, I dunno anything about the contest as I been busy with clients, games etc..

So if so, that will be faster and better to start with..is a rounded square from Photoshop.

Hi mustang112074,

thank you for your support and help ,appreciated  :) 

for the contest no bitmaps are allowed, it has to be 100 % procedural and they have to see a creativity in building shapes ,my real problem actually lies in the wavy edges of the heart shapes carved into the flat surface .

Is there anyway you know about how to draw inside designer on top of a bitmap by lowering opacity or something ,i mean copying or extracting from a bitmap.

Thank you
Best regards,
Carter.   

If you're making no progress, perhaps you should consider picking a different material, and then working on this one after the contest.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

You can define SVG outlines inside substance, but for this case I probably wouldn't do that. I might have a play with this soon to help you out. I'm aware the contest has finished but this is a good example for learning and you should still finish it.

I created the heart part of the shape for you. Pretty rough around the edges but you'll need to extend the shapes/edges anyway to get the full shape. Designer file is attached. If you need a non-linear "scoop" on the heightmap then you can remap the gradient to a custom greyscale one or apply curves to it.

Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:56:15 am

I created the heart part of the shape for you. Pretty rough around the edges but you'll need to extend the shapes/edges anyway to get the full shape. Designer file is attached. If you need a non-linear "scoop" on the heightmap then you can remap the gradient to a custom greyscale one or apply curves to it.

Thank you rocifier  much appreciated , thank you for your support and help :) .

I figured out if i get the highest point which is the flat arrow like shape done the lowest part which is the heart shape will be resolved automatically  . 

i know I couldn't get my shape done yet but the stone material was ready ,here is my progress so far ,i had problems with the height,

can anyone help me please with this shape , i insist to get it done ,cause everytime i wanted to participate in a contest i failed to get my entry ready , this time the same ,i'm sick of it, putting all this hours to learn then i get nothing ,but i'm not giving up.

thank you for your support.

Issues with height stairstepping

3d view 

Graph's part 01

Graph's part 02

Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:36:27 pm