Author Topic: How to prepare Sbsar for Material layering workflow  (Read 1509 times)

Im trying to implement  Material layering in my company, but i ran into some troubles.

 I was trying to use  Material layering to add procedural dirt on top of chrome tables. First i have setup scene in Substance Painter, i have added generic Shiny Steel Material, and as a Second Material fine Rust(test) I have exported them to unity, and checked. It looked fine, but i wanted to have dirt(rust) on top of my old material, not this new Shiny Steel.
In order to do so I put bitmaps from old chrome table material into Substance Designer, and connect them to  Output node(metalic have alpha split node, and smoothness from alpha connects to roughness), then I have marked the usage of Output nodes accordingly(base color, roughness, metallic, ambient occlusion).
When I've tried to put the new sbsar into Material layering in Unity this new material does not look properly. It looks all light grey and matte. When I have tried to put the same sbsar onto table model, without  Material layering node it looked fine.

So my question is:
How the sbsar files should be formatted in Substance Designer so they would look correctly in Unity when using  Material layering workflow
Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:06:31 pm

I've been experimenting with material layering too and have run into similar issues.
I noticed a couple things you must do to have the materials display right in the layered shader.
1 - Make sure you keep the identifier names in designer the same (base color, normal, metallic, roughness). This matters as it seems Allegorithmics script is looking for these when it hooks up the material.
2 - You have to export each material as a separate SBSAR. If you try to export them all in a material library I've had the layer shader glitch out on me as you are describing.

I'm not sure if this is causing your problem, but let me know if that helps. I've been trying to nail down this workflow as well. I feel like Allegorithmic's Unity Layered Shader needs an update. I feel like most studio's using this workflow are just using painter to visualize the materials, but have their own proprietary shaders.