Author Topic: Bake and discard, not working in the game.  (Read 2352 times)

When I set substance to be "Bake and discard substance", it correctly generates texture when I select it and then choose import. But, then when I actually load a scene that uses that substance textures, it all just comes out black / blue meaning they are not generated/loaded.

The same substance works if I set it as "Build on load"

This only seems to apply to some substances.. Not sure what and why .. anyone?

I also found that if I keep the selection for the substance in the editor ( click on the substance and not click on anything else)

"Bake and discard substance" option does work. So if I have not selected anything when scene loads, it just won't load properly. Is there any options in Unity that maybe interfering with how substance works? I am using Unity 2017.2 and 20173 beta.

It almost seems like Unity does not load or discards the substance from memory when I start play. And the editor doesn't discard it when I select it because well , the editor needs to show it so it keeps in the memory.
Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:51:28 am

When I set substance to be "Bake and discard substance", it correctly generates texture when I select it and then choose import. But, then when I actually load a scene that uses that substance textures, it all just comes out black / blue meaning they are not generated/loaded.

The same substance works if I set it as "Build on load"

This only seems to apply to some substances.. Not sure what and why .. anyone?

I also found that if I keep the selection for the substance in the editor ( click on the substance and not click on anything else)

"Bake and discard substance" option does work. So if I have not selected anything when scene loads, it just won't load properly. Is there any options in Unity that maybe interfering with how substance works? I am using Unity 2017.2 and 20173 beta.

It almost seems like Unity does not load or discards the substance from memory when I start play. And the editor doesn't discard it when I select it because well , the editor needs to show it so it keeps in the memory.

Hi,

We are sorry for this issue. I've asked the devs to take a look at this thread. I will report back as soon as I get more info.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I wonder if there is any follow up on this issue? It's been a month now...

We are seeing similar problems when using Bake and discard. We are also wondering if these issues will be present in the new plugin-based integration in Unity 2018.1?  Is Bake and discard even going to be available in the new plugin integration?

We are seeing similar problems when using Bake and discard. We are also wondering if these issues will be present in the new plugin-based integration in Unity 2018.1?  Is Bake and discard even going to be available in the new plugin integration?

Hi,

I'm very sorry for this delay. I spoke with the team and they intend to have this issue resolved with the new plugin. With the Unity 2017 versions, Unity won't patch the updates so our team is focused on fixing this issue with the new plugin. With the 2018.1 plugin not being directly integrated into Unity, we will be able to control the updates so bug fixes and new features will be pushed to users directly

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja