Author Topic: Base Material node, why not generate AO from Height  (Read 957 times)

Seems like a reasonable thing to have?

Given Base Material can already derive Normal from Height, and there is a HABO node.

I think you can already do this. Is your height map made in substance? just plug in an AO node and you're done. 

I think you can already do this. Is your height map made in substance? just plug in an AO node and you're done.

Weird, am I missing something? You can see I linked a simple height output to Base Material node, and the output AO is just white. (compare to the HBAO node, which gives me the expected AO).

Oh I see what you mean now. Yes you are correct, you would have to activate the input AO checkbox of the Base Material node and then plug your generated AO map in there. Otherwise the Base Material node alone does not calculate AO by itself. A couple of extra steps.

You're right, in this scenario it would be nice to get the AO generated from this node alone. On the other hand it might make the node more complex than it needs to be. I've never had the need for it to work this way, I guess our workflows are different. I think a lot of people simply see the basematerial node as a way to compile all your graphs and all of your channels in one neat package, in this case it would not be a node used to MAKE stuff.

But yeah I can see what you mean.