Author Topic: Tiles and textures  (Read 26352 times)

Sorry, we are really swamped by work over here.
Here is a simple example, simply replacing the noise I used as an input with your tile bitmap should do the trick.

Thanks Jeremie,

I don't seem to see any noise maps in this file.

I meant the one with the scratches generator, it's just a placeholder for whatever you would put in your tiles.

Thanks Jeremie,
I did what you advised though i seem to have lost the colour of the tile.

Why is so hard to get any answers here?

It is clear to me that that your texture is plugged into a grayscale conversion node - which will convert it to grayscale map. You can clearly see that everything from that point on is not RGB. This happens automatically when a RGB output is plugged into an input that only accepts grayscale.

The graph was using the scratch node attached to a gradient map node. You need to bypass both nodes - I know he didn't say that exactly but have a close look at what is happening in the graph.

I have to say the response on this forum seems very good to me. I mean you have the developers actually making files exclusively for you - I don't know where else you would get that kind of service.

I also have to say - dude seriously, you have your texture plugged directly into a grayscale conversion node and you want someone to explain why there is no colour in the output?  It almost seems like you are not really trying. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Good luck,
Tim

Hi,

Take a closer look to the stacked stone example, it does exactly what you are expecting.

Nicolas
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Ok thanks Nickolas

Thanks Nickolas, it worked perfectly. Exactly what i needed.
Please suggest what node or where i can control the colour of the grout line.

That looks very damn nice!

Not sure how your graph looks now but if you have the same set-up as before for the grout lines then there should be a tile generator plugged into a gradient map that gets blended over the tile colour. Edit the black colour in the gradient ramp. Assuming the tile generator has black lines on white.

In the previous set up it was using multiply blend mode which will not work if you want a light coloured grout so you might need to change the blend mode. You can use a link directly from the tile generator plugged into an invert node then plugged into the opacity control for the blend node. Then you can use the copy blend mode.

Tim

Hi Tim,
See below the node setup, it is the same as the one Nickolas posted for the stacked stone with a few tweaks i did to vary the texture.
Also i have attached file so if you could please add the node for me to change the grout colour, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, come up so good, love the results, thanks to Nickolas.
Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:55:27 am

To change the grout lines' color (the lines between the tiles right?) edit your graph in the following way:
- plug the Ambient occlusion in a levels node where you switch black and white
- plug that levels node in the opacity slot of your blend node right before the diffuse map
- create a uniform color and plug it in the foreground slot of the same blend map as before
- set the blend node to copy

also I am pretty sure you do not need the heightmap output for your tiles (at least in the way it is right now)

Your problems are very basic, you seriously need to have some more drive to solve your problems by yourself.

quick graph example:

with normal and specular map:

Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:44:49 pm

Well... the normal map and height map contain essentially the same information at this point but it depends on the shader and rendering system. Sometimes the height map can be used to sharpen the normals up a bit and so on.

Looks to me like retakrew7's graph is using the levels node to invert the AO - could just use an invert node. I think the uniform colour node is a good choice but the problem I see is that now the AO is being coloured which has a soft bleed up onto the edges of the tiles. The grout line should have a clean cut off - it essentially flat and in between the tiles which have a slight bevel.

I'll have a closer look and let you know if I think there is a better solution. And yes I agree - simple problems but as a newcomer to this software I seem to be learning quite a bit trying to solve them.

Tim

Thanks retakrew7,
Here are the results of your suggestions. Added the nodes for changing the grout colour.

Tim your correct about the bleeding of the grout colour on to the tiles, any alternative solution to improve the grout line will be greatly appreciated.
Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:59:25 pm

You don't need to use the ambient occlusion filter, just use the tile generator with the same amount of tile on X and Y, change the pattern to square and adjust the scale value.

you'll get a sharp black&white mask to blend the tile and the grout.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic