Author Topic: referencing substances.  (Read 7691 times)

Hi. I am now digging into substance designer and have some questions.
I am created base material color library. Simple graph with huge ammount of outputs.
It looks like
base_color_albedo
base_color_gloss
base_color_specular
scratch_albedo
scratch_gloss
scratch_specular
Then I take this substance(call it base_color.sbs) as single sbs file and put it into other graph(for example robot.sbs).
I thought if I would change some base_color.sbs graph parameters, I would see changes in robot.sbs, but it looks like  base_color.sbs is frozen and can not be reloaded or changed inside robot.sbs.
But if I would put my base_color graph as single graph into robot.sbs and then put it into robot graph - it will update perfectly.

My question:
Is it possible to see changes in robot.sbs after external update in base_color.sbs?

Yes, just drag the base color.sbs from the library to the explorer (not inside of robots.SBS).
This will open another substance in the explorer, and any change done to it will affect dependant substances.

mario - Thank you.
It works when I make edits on the same machine in the same session but my idea was:
My art director creates base_material.sbs substance. And he sometimes want to edit some colors and after that share the updated file in the net.
It would be cool for other team members to refresh this file via svn and then somehow update this node in the substances where it was included.
For now robot.sbs is blind for all the changes that happens with base_color.sbs.

mario - Thank you.
It works when I make edits on the same machine in the same session but my idea was:
My art director creates base_material.sbs substance. And he sometimes want to edit some colors and after that share the updated file in the net.
It would be cool for other team members to refresh this file via svn and then somehow update this node in the substances where it was included.
For now robot.sbs is blind for all the changes that happens with base_color.sbs.

Hi Andrey,

Have you seen the Version Control options? http://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SD44/Version+Control?src=search.

Also, you can add a path the library editor that is pointing to a network drive. In this location, you can place all of the sbs files and all teams that have this path added to their SD preferences will receive updated files.

Preferences>Editors>Library

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Fantastic, Wes! It is just what I needed.
Thank you!

I want to ask some more questions.
When I opened the blend flilter from the library I found very interesting algorithm of creating drop down menus.
Trying to replicate it and found that there are different integers in blend opacity functions.
some of them have max 5 and some 35. I can just copy them and use. But I wonder how to create them by my own. :)

I want to ask some more questions.
When I opened the blend flilter from the library I found very interesting algorithm of creating drop down menus.
Trying to replicate it and found that there are different integers in blend opacity functions.
some of them have max 5 and some 35. I can just copy them and use. But I wonder how to create them by my own. :)

Hi Andrey,

Which blend filter are you referring? Is it a material blend filter?
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi, Wes!
Nope. simple Blend from Filters Group.
Those filter gives cool drop down list when I Expose Blending Mode Parameter.
http://c2n.me/ixNixB
Inside of it There are many blend functions that works as switchers.
I am just do not understand how to create integer constant with different limits.

Hi, Wes!
Nope. simple Blend from Filters Group.
Those filter gives cool drop down list when I Expose Blending Mode Parameter.
http://c2n.me/ixNixB
Inside of it There are many blend functions that works as switchers.
I am just do not understand how to create integer constant with different limits.

Hi Andrey,

Oh, I see what you mean. They are using a Drop down list of type integer 1. I've attached an sbs that does that same thing as an example. In the sbs, I am switching between different patterns based on the drop down list. To create this, I first created a parameter, type interger1 Editor drop down list. Next, I used a switch mode on blend node to route between the three patterns. I created a function for the opacity of the blend node. In this function, I have get the integer1 (drop down list) and then check it's value to see if it's greater than a constant. If it is I set the opacity to 0 and if it's false, I set it to 1.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Thank you, Wes!
Yes, you are absolutely right! Those algorithm works perfectly, but there is still some magic for me.
Because if I add integer constant inside the parameter - I have 5 by default, but, inside those blend node I found magic integers with much higher values.
I am now working with huge base materials graph and I need at least 7 inside my integer constant.
So, I wonder how to change default value by myself)

Thank you, Wes!
Yes, you are absolutely right! Those algorithm works perfectly, but there is still some magic for me.
Because if I add integer constant inside the parameter - I have 5 by default, but, inside those blend node I found magic integers with much higher values.
I am now working with huge base materials graph and I need at least 7 inside my integer constant.
So, I wonder how to change default value by myself)

Hi Andrey,

In that case, when you add the custom integer, you can double click on the bar and it will than allow you to enter a number. Now, the new number will dictate the range of the slider. So you can enter 15.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Awesome! Thank you, Wes.
Your help makes things much easier.
Almost completed preset for creating armored vehicles.
Will ask some more questions and show my progress soon)

Want to ask advice from experienced substance users.
I am created mask generator that takes different maps as inputs and gives greyscale mask as a result.
And I want to make overpaint in order to fix some issues.
For now I created the branch that takes rgba bitmap as input and blends in copy mode with my greyscale mask output.

But I am not very like those gradient map - grayscale conversions because I want to keep my calculations as simple as possible.
And I have to use rgba image in order to have alpha channel for easy blending.
When I use grayscale in substance designer - I lose alpha. May be I lose something and it is possible to use grayscale image with alpha?

My workflow for now - edit rgba using painting tools in modo and reload it in sd after that.
Works well but it would be cool to use Substance Painter for this purpose.
Do we have any fast connection between Substance Designer and Substance Painter?
I mean can we send bitmap into SP for editing and be able somehow to display active node from substance designer, without export-import actions?

But I am not very like those gradient map - grayscale conversions because I want to keep my calculations as simple as possible.
And I have to use rgba image in order to have alpha channel for easy blending.
When I use grayscale in substance designer - I lose alpha. May be I lose something and it is possible to use grayscale image with alpha?

You are right, there is no grayscale with alpha.
However, there is probably a way to keep your masks grayscale and blend them with one of the other blending modes. I think "max" or "multiply" could give you what you want, depending on the maps.

Thank you!
I think the best way for now is creating two blend nodes. One in multiply and one in Max(lighten) mode.