Author Topic: Absolutely horrible performance Substance Painter 2017.3.0  (Read 3821 times)

Hi, im having incredible issues here with the newest SP its a disgrace how bad it runs, i've a beast of a machine and never before have i had a problem like this using older versions, my specs are i7-6700k 4.0 Ghz, Geforce GTX 1080(8gb) & 16gb ram, this thing constantly crashes and freezes and runs slow in the viewport and when ur changing sliders etc the whole thing is messed up basically painting causes lag too its really frustrating, as well as switching to different texture sets causes it to crash sometimes or just lag, i literally cannot do anything if i even type in the name of a material in to the search box this thing will crash ugh.. can anyone help? keep getting this error '' [GPUIssuesCheck] The current TDR (GPU hang recovery) delay is low: 2s.
   Substance Painter can be interrupted by the OS when doing a long computation.
   See https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations''
Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:52:18 pm

Going by forum support requests, seems like lots of users are having issues with GTX 1080 (for the mac?)

I don't have useful info other than....hope and wait for a driver fix?

Well, you mention the TDR message. Have you followed the link and made the recommended changes? I also imagine the folks would like to see a copy of the log too.

Also, is that 8GB ram on the 1080 and 16GB of computer memory? What size of mesh are you bringing into SP?

Hey matey, I suggest you roll back to 2017.2. On windows i was able to just install it straight over the top I haven't had any problems opening the files I saved in .3. The only error I get is the autosave plugin complaining once when I start up.

the last version/build that work for me without issues was 2017.1 - 1661, the .2 got really laggy using some materials from source, and this 3 more or less worked ok, but today i saved and i saved a corrupt file soooo . . . .  not so well, and can't go to 2017.1 because it doesn't open the files save in.3 i guess that. .  hope for the future for me.

For performances issues I suggest to also check this page : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Performances
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

2018.1.2 as well.  Awaiting them to sell to someone else who can actually make this program A. run without going unresponsive and B. stop the crashing when trying to SAVE!

I think we already addressed this issue in another thread. The saving issue has been fixed in 2018.1.3

Jeremie,

Sorry about the confusion as I meant 2018.2.1, not 1.2.

I might have fixed my issue, but only time will tell. 

1. Instead of just reinstalling again, I took the time to scan regedit for folders with "allegorithmic" in it.  Oddly there were none.

2. I did a registry scan with CCleaner and it found some (CCleaner is the hero once again!).  I deleted anything that Allegorithmic related. 

3. I then rebooted, reinstalled Substance Painter (deleting the old Allegorithmic folder in C:\Program Files first), and rebooted again. 

Clearing out the old folder and all the registry entries seems to have at least sped up the speed of Painter.  The sluggishness is gone, we'll see if the crashing continues though.  More on this story as it develops.  :P

I never have these problems with Adobe apps., so there is hope that their code will get optimized now.