Author Topic: SP 20.17.4.2 keeps crashing on one particular file  (Read 1983 times)

Hi,

For some reason, SP keeps crashing on one particular file that I'm using and I have no idea what's causing it. It seems to happen at the same point in my workflow when I try to create a folder. I'm going to try and do it again and not create a folder but I've had to redo the same file three times now and I'm paranoid that it's going to happen again for some other reason.

See below for the crash file... if someone can tell me what's causing this I'd really appreciate it because once the file has crashed I can't even reopen it to salvage the work because the file crashes before it can reload.

Thanks!

Faulting application name: Substance Painter.exe, version: 2017.4.2.0, time stamp: 0x5a67c615
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0x70f70cc4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006b70e
Faulting process id: 0x4044
Faulting application start time: 0x01d39bb0cc8bac23
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\Substance Painter.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: df91c2cd-3cfa-4cd3-86ff-1f1027d05275
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Please attach a log file : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file

By file do you mean an asset in the shelf or a project file ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sorry, i mean project file. I've been able to work on another file that isn't using a color map that I imported into the project that keeps on crashing. For some reason my SP slows down a lot and/or has issues processing the project files when i import external color maps.

I've attached the log, please let me know if you need anything else to help me trouble shoot

It just happened again and I can't even open the project file because it keeps crashing so I've lost the entire project

It feels like it's something to do with the important texture file because I'm working on another project file that is also importing an external color map texture but the file size is much smaller than the project file that keeps on crashing i.e. 3.5 MB vs 9MB

I say this because when I'm trying to paint on a mask layer above the layer with the texture used in the color map the paint brush is really joggy and jittery as if the program is struggling to process the interactions

Sorry for all the replies, just trying to provide as much info...

Here's another development, when I close the project that's using a 3MB texture import (which makes the program jitter/process) and then reopen it SP says that the texture files is corrupt

[ResourceImage] Failed to load image content from file. (The texture has been corrupted)
file:///E:/Shoe/ShoeTest-11.6/SubstancePainter/mens_shoe.spp/resources/126dadbdcace063403dcc472ff9e399d505c6d41.image
[EngineBitmapLoad] Failed to decode bitmap.
resource://project2/mens_shoe_color?version=126dadbdcace063403dcc472ff9e399d505c6d41.image
[EngineBitmapLoad] Failed to decode bitmap.
resource://project2/mens_shoe_color?version=126dadbdcace063403dcc472ff9e399d505c6d41.image

Not sure if this is connected to the original bug or a new one

It doens't seem like the log is attached to any of your messages, could you try again (the full log file)?

Here it is.... I've exported the log files from help

I found this thread (https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=16965.0) and tried to implement the fixes/suggestions i.e. the performance setting and that still didn't make any improvements.

Here is a video of me trying to paint on a white mask to hide some texture detail. As you can see it take forever for the brush to register. This is what happened with the other project file but the program crashed before it could finish process (and yes, I've added the TDR values)

Did you try deactivating the layer on which you cloned stuff? Cloning is an intensive process and if you are paiting underneath it, Painter besically tries to re-process that cloning in real time at every frame while you paint. That could explain part of the lag you see.
Also, what is on your top layer that we can't see in the video?

Cool, that definitely helped but it's still a little jittery.

The top layer is a fill layer with a leather material applied and a black mask.

Are there any other recommendations other than deactivating the clone layer? It typically starts off fine but my SP very quickly starts to slow down as if it's running a lot of intense functions. Now that you mention it, most of the problems I'm having are when I import a clone map into the project, add that as a color map and then do some sort of cloning to touch it up (I'm working with scan data).

Thanks!

Cloning, smudging and substance filters like sharpen, warp, blur, etc. will slow down a lot your paiting if they are above your current layer in the stack. Better to deactivate them while paiting.

Yep, that's definitely helping my workflow in SP. Thanks for your help!