Author Topic: How do I bake this?  (Read 2325 times)

Hi there,
I am trying to bake my first model in Substance Painter and I have seen a lot of tutorials about baking but I still have some questions.
How do I bake my 3d model if I have only the high detailed model?
How do I use the "Match: by mesh name" if I have only one model and I still want the meshes to be baked separately?

Thanks in advance

Still getting poor results:

I did use that option but the result is flat blue with the normals!

I did use that option but the result is flat blue with the normals!
Then there is likely something wrong with your setup.
I would suggest reducing the number of meshes you want to bake to isolate better the problem.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thank you so much for the reply.
I did use one mesh only and it's the same thing.

Have no idea what is wrong with my mesh!

And here is the uv:

Please if you have time see my object and tell me what am I doing wrong.

Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9daecsj3togak9k/test.obj?dl=0
Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:23:44 am

Thank you so much for the reply.
I did use one mesh only and it's the same thing.

Have no idea what is wrong with my mesh!

Far as I know, the normal map is supposed to be like that if you use the same source mesh for bakes. 

Match-by-mesh name would work if you actually have high and low poly versions per elements of your model.

Otherwise you're fine.  Proceed to checking the quality of the other baked maps like curvature and ambient occlusion (if you enable it).  Add a smart material or mask to check (like edgewear, for example).
Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:00:08 am

Thank you, will try it now.
Because as I read before the normal map is like the basic map if you have a good normal map you are fine and all other maps depending on the normal map, is that correct?

I read before the normal map is like the basic map if you have a good normal map you are fine and all other maps depending on the normal map, is that correct?

The theory for using normal maps is you want to capture the details of higher density mesh that you want to show on a lower density mesh.  So for example, details of 7 million poly sculpt on a "game resolution" of 20,000 (could be higher or lower, but usually way lower than 100,000 polys).

From what you've mentioned, you only used 1 mesh for bakes right?  So really the normal map baker doesn't have any higher density source mesh to capture details from.  Therefore, plain blue.  You can skip baking a normal map, by unchecking the check box, and Painter would still bake the other default maps.

You can bring in another normal map later, maybe with more details baked in, to update your map bakes or texture sets.
Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:52:54 am

I read before the normal map is like the basic map if you have a good normal map you are fine and all other maps depending on the normal map, is that correct?

The theory for using normal maps is you want to capture the details of higher density mesh that you want to show on a lower density mesh.  So for example, details of 7 million poly sculpt on a "game resolution" of 20,000 (could be higher or lower, but usually way lower than 100,000 polys).

From what you've mentioned, you only used 1 mesh for bakes right?  So really the normal map baker doesn't have any higher density source mesh to capture details from.  Therefore, plain blue.  You can skip baking a normal map, by unchecking the check box, and Painter would still bake the other default maps.

You can bring in another normal map later, maybe with more details baked in, to update your map bakes or texture sets.

Thank you so much dear for the clarification.