Author Topic: Substance Painter stuck on Generating Thumbnails  (Read 7853 times)

Throughout the day while working, my project will generate thumbnails multiple times within one session. The longer I work, the more often this happens and the slower substance painter becomes until it gets stuck on "generating thumbnails" and have to close and reopen Painter. I can't save without creating a corrupt file by this point and can't continue to work because the viewport doesn't update during this time. I only have 4 layers and they're quite simple. I imported 5 things into the self when I first started the project but thumbnails will generate again randomly while work without having imported anything new.

I've followed a few tips on improving performance for substance painter but there's no change. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here

I have the same problem since version 2017 and even before that thumbs are generating after every launch... but with 2017 it keeps re-generating and get stuck during it.

I have the same problem since version 2017 and even before that thumbs are generating after every launch... but with 2017 it keeps re-generating and get stuck during it.
Could you attach a log file too ? https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Throughout the day while working, my project will generate thumbnails multiple times within one session. The longer I work, the more often this happens and the slower substance painter becomes until it gets stuck on "generating thumbnails" and have to close and reopen Painter. I can't save without creating a corrupt file by this point and can't continue to work because the viewport doesn't update during this time. I only have 4 layers and they're quite simple. I imported 5 things into the self when I first started the project but thumbnails will generate again randomly while work without having imported anything new.

I've followed a few tips on improving performance for substance painter but there's no change. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here
I suggest installing the latest version of Substance Painter and report back if the issue still happens.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I am having the exact same issue.
It is especially fragile when importing materials.
All shelves load w/o problems except the Materials shelf.

I have reinstalled SP 2017 2x and updated all Video Card drivers.

any ideas?
Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:48:54 pm

Please attach a log file as mentioned above.
-----------

Having same issue. Only hangs when loading thumbnails for the Materials shelf. All other shelfs load quickly.

Looks like it has trouble specifically generating thumbnails of custom materials created in Designer, although some (maybe 10%?) of my custom materials did generate.

Exported log file attached.

Edit: As a workaround, just to get my workflow up and running again, I found it easiest to take all of my custom materials out of their various locations (some in the Painter material shelf folder, some in a custom folder location) and move them to a new folder (thereby removing them from the Shelf when Substance loads). I can then reimport them individually, as needed, and that seems to work okay for now. This obviously is not a fix or long-term solution, especially for developers with large material libraries, but might help if you really need to get painting again.
Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:59:20 am

Can you guys switch to the latest version (2017.3.1) and tell me if it happens again ?
-----------

Hey guys, I'm having a similar issue that I never had before. Everytime I open Substance Painter 2, it freezes and unfrezes for some long seconds. I can't do anything, and it hangs on "Generating Thumbnails". Tried reinstalling it (new version 2017.3.1) with no success. I'm using it from Steam, like I've always used, but the only two different things are: It's installed on another fresh and new drive (different from my main Windows and Shelf folder C: drive), and I got a problem with my GPU on the last days, so I'm running on the onboard Intel HD Graphics, which I could run some games. I really want to know what's happening.

The log file is attached. Thanks in advance.

Your integrated GPU is extrememly low end and I'm surprised SUbstance Painter runs at all on it, so that's probably the reason behind your freezes.

What's probably happening is that I have almost no VRAM (32MB), which happens when using an integrated graphics, so Painter is trying to store information but is using the slower system RAM instead, due to the small ammount of video memory.
Thanks for pointing this to me Jeremie! I need to buy a new GPU anyways!  ;)

I posted a few years ago about this and kind of stopped using SP because of it. I'm now trying again.

I have the same issue with 2017.4.2. Each time I open SP it begins to generate thumbnails. Just now as it was doing it for the 10th time today I googled the issue. As I was reading, a "Saving..." small window popped up. It's been saving for 5-minutes now and I can't do anything nor get to 'Help' to generate a log file. I'll try to get that and attach it. I may have to End Task out of it but am not sure if that wipes the log file. I'll attach what I get.

I'd love it if the program would generate the thumbs once and keep them.

I had to dump SP. I reopened and attached the log. I'll run it for a bit and attach another. So I reopened and it's now been 5-minutes. I have some thumbs but still no Proceedural or Particles. The 'Info' bar says "....generating thumbnails. I went ahead and saved a log file. It's the second one.
Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:44:08 pm
3ds Max Design (Max 2018/Max 2019), ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard, Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64GB DDR4 Ram, Quadro K5200 Display Adapter.

I don't believe the logs attached. Trying again.
3ds Max Design (Max 2018/Max 2019), ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard, Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64GB DDR4 Ram, Quadro K5200 Display Adapter.

It seems that you have more than 3000 materials in your shelf and that's what is causing the slow population of the shelf. We are looking into improving the shelf loading times but in the meantime, try triming down the amount of materials you have in your shelf or separate them between multiple shelf and load only the shelf you need for your current project.

Thanks for having a look. Yea, I think part of the reason I have so many is that I have a backup that's not zipped. I also have some duplicates I now see. I don't actually have 3000 individual materials. Not being aware that SP cared about the physical number of materials I think I became a little lax about keeping my folders neat and tidy. It was my understanding that SP created icons on the first scan of the shelf and then they were just available, independent of how many. I think I had the wrong assumption.

Let me clean up and do a better job of file maintenance and see if it helps. I'll report back what I find.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.