Author Topic: Don't separate meshes  (Read 9025 times)

Hi,

It is possible to not separate meshes when importing them in painter ?
I have a mesh with several parts and in obj, fbx or 3ds, I have all the parts in separate object in painter, it's really anoying.

It is possible to copy shader to other parts ?

Thx for your help ;)

Hi,

I have a mesh with several parts and in obj, fbx or 3ds, I have all the parts in separate object in painter, it's really anoying.

Thx for your help ;)

Hello,

The mesh is separated into parts in Substance Painter by material IDs. It's not looking at the actual mesh parts. You could give the parts the same material and it will only have 1 texture set in SP. However, if the mesh parts have overlapping UVs it will cause an issue with painting.

You can't copy a shader as the shader is targeted by the material ID in a texture set. If you want to use separate parts, then you need to use multiple Material IDs.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I found this out the hard way, but I do love the texture sets... I wonder as a request, if we could make texture sets in Painter just by selecting UVs and create set.

Ok, I just need to add shaders, thx !

Hi,

Thx for your help ;)

Hello,

The mesh is separated into parts in Substance Painter by material IDs. It's not looking at the actual mesh parts. You could give the parts the same material and it will only have 1 texture set in SP. However, if the mesh parts have overlapping UVs it will cause an issue with painting.

You can't copy a shader as the shader is targeted by the material ID in a texture set. If you want to use separate parts, then you need to use multiple Material IDs.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,
I remember Material IDs from my Max days, but I don't think I ever run into MAt IDs in Maya? Do they exist?

Hi,

Thx for your help ;)

Hello,

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,
I remember Material IDs from my Max days, but I don't think I ever run into MAt IDs in Maya? Do they exist?

In Maya, it's much simpler. You can just assign the material to the mesh or just select faces and assign material to those faces. You can middle-mouse click and drag the material to the selection in the viewport. When you export, SP will see the materials as texture sets.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Ahh, thanks, Wes.  You should be out BBQing... Guess I should too.  Happy 4th. 8)

If I have a model that has, say, 4 different pieces, each utilizing their own 0-1 space, how do I create additional material ID's for each section.  I see that it is done in one of the tutorials but it doesn't explain how that happened.

If I have a model that has, say, 4 different pieces, each utilizing their own 0-1 space, how do I create additional material ID's for each section.  I see that it is done in one of the tutorials but it doesn't explain how that happened.

Hello,
All you need to do is set a material to each object in your 3D application. This will create a material ID and recognized when you import into Substance Painter. You can assign a material to an object or even polygon faces.

Cheers.

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

How would this work with meshes brought in from Zbrush that have been 'devided' into polygroups, with each group being it's own colour? Or would I also have to assign materials in ZB instead of polygroups?

How would this work with meshes brought in from Zbrush that have been 'devided' into polygroups, with each group being it's own colour? Or would I also have to assign materials in ZB instead of polygroups?

Hi Anthony, I haven't tried materials and polygroups in zbrush, but I don't think they would work. You need to set the materials in a 3D app as to create the material ID tags. I will check this to be sure. If not, perhaps this would make a good feature to add: polygroup support from zbrush.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Any update Wes if Polygroup support is being looked at and/or considered to create texture sets in Painter?

Any update Wes if Polygroup support is being looked at and/or considered to create texture sets in Painter?

Hi, you can create a new idea in allegorithmics uservoice: https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com

As I have already "spent" my idea-budget (no more ideas allowed?!), you have to do it on your own. But be sure, that this would be a feature, that would be supported!

For now, you can create polypaint colors from polygroups inside ZBrush and use that as an ID map

Thank you for the tip michael_11