Author Topic: Unity integration - roadmap / feature requests  (Read 1938 times)

Hi Allegorithmic, can you advise if you plan on releasing roadmaps or discussing feature requests for the new Substance Source / Unity integration?

First of all, I think it's fantastic. But I was hoping for a little bit of customisation, particularly around the substance import, such as:

1) Having the ability to select a folder location to download the substances into (rather than a default 'Materials' folder in the project root)

2) Being able to automatically create sub-folders with category name as the sub-folder name, so that for instance when I download a substance that belongs to the Ground category, it creates a sub-folder in the project window called Ground and places the substance in there

Things like that would help better integrate the source plugin with existing project workflows (and in our case, a comprehensive material application editor script that we use).

Thanks

Hi Allegorithmic, can you advise if you plan on releasing roadmaps or discussing feature requests for the new Substance Source / Unity integration?

First of all, I think it's fantastic. But I was hoping for a little bit of customisation, particularly around the substance import, such as:

1) Having the ability to select a folder location to download the substances into (rather than a default 'Materials' folder in the project root)

2) Being able to automatically create sub-folders with category name as the sub-folder name, so that for instance when I download a substance that belongs to the Ground category, it creates a sub-folder in the project window called Ground and places the substance in there

Things like that would help better integrate the source plugin with existing project workflows (and in our case, a comprehensive material application editor script that we use).

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks very much for the feedback! I will share this with the team.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hello, Allegorithmic folks!

I just tried out the new Substance Source integration plugin, in Unity 2017.2b11. It works great so far, but I noticed one very small annoyance.

When logging into my Substance account, the plugin prompts for email address and password. In the password field, however, it seems to be impossible to paste from the clipboard.

I use a password manager which allows me to have very secure, truly random passwords that are different for each web site. The password manager allows me to securely copy the allegorithmic.com password to the clipboard, without actually viewing it on screen, so it's secure against "shoulder surfing" if I'm working in a public space.

With the clipboard paste disabled in that field, using a decently secure password becomes much more tedious because it has to be hand typed. Just how many times does anyone wish to hand type 8x#Xr*S%^@ (not my real password, but the ones my system generates look like that!).

Please do the right thing and enable clipboard paste in the password field. If you wanted to be really kind, you could offer an option button to store a cookie to remember the login with the Unity project's own settings (maybe the password hashed with a one-time salt that is generated when it's first entered?). Some might (with good reason) not want their Allegorithmic password stored with their Unity project settings, if they also use that password elsewhere or share the project, so I'd suggest the option be off by default.

The password remembrance is secondary, though. Enable clipboard paste of the password, and I'll be happy. :)

P.S. -- Thanks for this plugin. Now that I've moved to the subscription model for my Substance licenses, I'm likely to use the plugin often.

P.P.S. -- Also, +1 to the suggestions from the OP about organizing the downloads. Some developers may even want to have things from Substance Source in a dedicated main folder (or subfolder) separate from materials that they have created or which are obtained from other sources, because of the need to track copyright compliance and/or manage updates later.