Author Topic: No multicore support  (Read 4605 times)

Good day, I have good PC with two intel Xeon v3 2670, 24 cores total, 48 threads. Substance use one.
I monitoring my CPUs when substance make his calculations and there is always only ONE core working with 100% load.
Modo, Keyshot - use all my cores correctly, so I don't think that problem on my side.

Please help - with current perfomance work in substance is....painful.

Hey, could you provide your log file as well, please?
Log file procedure : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file

Thx!

Substance Painter mostly uses the GPU for computing and rendering (except for some of the "from mesh" bakers and the background computation of the shelf material thumbnails) so low CPU usage is expected. For the few processes where CPU is the bottleneck, multiple threads are used.
Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:59:05 pm

Substance Painter mostly uses the GPU for computing and rendering (except for some of the "from mesh" bakers and the background computation of the shelf material thumbnails) so low CPU usage is expected. For the few processes where CPU is the bottleneck, multiple threads are used.

When I add new fill layer or smart material Substance start computing it's stuff, I see loading red line and for some time application marked as "not responding". GPU usage mostly at 40% with recent peaks to 70-90%, 20% Ram and...one core used on 100%. Another 23 cores resting.
Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:54:00 pm

2nd core comes in! )))

applying 4k normal map to mesh
takes more then 4 minutes

More statistics

As conclusion I can say that multicore support is present, but very limited. I gues that developer concentrate on CPUs with less cores but higher frequencys.
Sadly, but SP can't use all potential of GPU's and CPU's perfomance. That means that if you have expensive hardware - that does not meant that you get improved perfomance

As I have said above, that's expected. We do not "concentrate on CPUs with less cores but higher frequencies" : Substance Painter makes practically no use of the CPU most of the time, and except when running some of the bakers, it never is the bottleneck. Most of the rendering and computation is done on the GPU, and the GPU (its speed and its amount of VRAM) is all that matters for Substance Painter's speed. Even if you were running on an hypothetical single core CPU with a clock speed 1000 times faster, with the same GPU you have today it probably would not make Painter any faster.
The process you see with 100% CPU usage is probably just the background rendering of thumbnails in the shelf. This is just a background process which does not need to occupy most of your computer resources, and which should only be running the first couple times you run the application : once all the thumbnails have been rendered, you should not see it running again.

The reason you are not seeing 100% GPU usage all the time either is because at 4K resolution, the bottleneck is probably the amount of VRAM available as 4K textures occupy an awful lot of memory, so quite a lot of time is probably spent transferring textures back and forth between RAM and VRAM.
Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:50:43 pm

Thanks for that reply, now I ged it! )))
So, as I learned 10000 mHz of 8 gigs of memory is not enough for 4K.
And to work in 4K I should buy another GTX and run it in SLI?
For now I gues I just should NOT work with 4K and leave it untill better days )

Anyways, thx again!  :-*

We don't support SLI.
If you want better performances, take a look at this page : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Performances
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.