Author Topic: Can't paint black on white mask.  (Read 7391 times)

I've tried adding a white mask to my folder but i can't paint on it at all using a black standard brush.
So i tried adding a black mask and painting white on it, and that works.
However i if i paint black on it it is still painting white meaning i can't make a single mistake or i have to start all over again with the mask.

In the picture above i'm painting with a black brush on an already black mask, but it turns white.
Feel like i'm missing something? I've watched the Allegorithmic tutorial on mask on youtube.

hey, did you invert the mask at some point?

Not at the time of my first post, but i've tried it after that, inverting the mask makes it ALL white and unpaintable.
This is persistant issue so it doesn't matter if i create a new file and try to paint a mask it will still only paint white and never black.

Hey, could you provide your log file so we can open an issue, please?
Log file procedure : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file

Thx!

Did you ever get this one figured out? I've been having the same issue lately! Painting with black or white has the same effect on a mask (as though I'm painting with white).

Did you invert the mask at some point?

Hi, thanks for the reply! Nope, it happens on any mask, across projects. It's not a huge deal, oddly I can use the eraser to remove any painting. So for the most part, the brush functions as white, and the eraser functions as black. This isn't a perfect solution, though, as in some situations I want to be able to actually paint black over a mask.

Ok as I was typing this I decided to get a screenshot of what I'm talking about and now all mask painting functionality is normal! But I swear, last night when I posted it was not! Haha thanks for responding and have a great day!

If anyone else has this problem and finds this thread, I have no answers for you. My computer DID blue screen earlier this morning while Painter was running, maybe that is the magic fix  ;D

So im Having the same problem, but i think I've figured it out to be that im painting in the roughness channel.
But! a quick restart of painter and its all fixed, i assume because it doesn't keep those settings past closing the program.

This also happens to me. Restarting SP fixes the issue. Been an issue since pre 2017.

At the moment we are unable to reproduce the issue.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Hi,
I just had the same problem and after restarting SP it was fixed
I think I know how to reproduce the issue:
create a folder with an inverted mask on it
In the folder, create a layer with a mask. You shouldn't be able to paint on it (brush and eraser don't work but polygon fill seems still okay), even if you move the layer out of the folder.

I don't know why it does that but I hope you'll find some way to fix it :)
Have a great day!

Hi,
I just had the same problem and after restarting SP it was fixed
I think I know how to reproduce the issue:
create a folder with an inverted mask on it
In the folder, create a layer with a mask. You shouldn't be able to paint on it (brush and eraser don't work but polygon fill seems still okay), even if you move the layer out of the folder.

I don't know why it does that but I hope you'll find some way to fix it :)
Have a great day!
Could you record a video of the process ?
I'm not sure to follow all your steps, some are even ambiguous (like "create a folder with an inverted mask").
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Just experienced the same thing last night and restarting fixed it.

I just experienced this in 2017.3.0 and restarting fixed it also.

I also have just experienced this bug on SP v 2017.3.3 on Mac. Restarting the software fixed it.