Author Topic: MODO to SD4 Tutorial - (complete workflow) wanted  (Read 13394 times)

Hey Wes,

were you able to solve this?
Is this an "insulated incident" or is this stuff still problematic in other apps, but maya?

I get a bit frustrated and hold myself back from 3D a bit - I´ve found my way into blender (was hard enough), tried Modo, got my hands on Zbrush for a while, tried Hexagon, Voidworld, 3D Coat and now it seems like "back to maya"... makes my head spin a bit  ;D

So I would be glad to finally find a 3D modling app to stick with for the future, to do complete work in and most important - to work 100% with export to unity and SD/SP

Anyways, I made a 6x6 segments cube (in Modo), assigned 5 Materials to different poly-areas and exported as .fbx with no additional settings... imported in SD 4.3.1 (forgot to update my USB-Stick-Version^^) and all material-IDs show up in the baker-dialog, with right face-count and color.

Baking UV to SVG with Material-ID Color works, also...

Kind regards

I tried it again on a different project and didn't have any issues with the FBX export from modo with multiple materials on a single mesh. Hopefully, that was an isolated incident. Good to hear it worked for you as well.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

But what not works for me, is smoothing (or maybe I did it wrong?)

I exported the .fbx when in modo-catmull-clark subd view - but get ugly lit / relfexions when importing that into SD... and more worse, no rounded edges any more...

Exporting the .fbx when in "normal, non sub-d view" gives 1:1 result in SD.

Cheers

edit: tested a few things, when creating a sub-d cube (rounded edges) in Voidworld and export as .dae file (there is no fbx export) it´s 1:1 in SD (shading is correct and edges are round)
However, when exporting the same Sub-D cube from Modo (.dae), the rounded edges get lost and
shadings looks ugly (in SD and VoidWorld)... so for me, the material IDs are working in Modo, but the smoothing/vertex shading seems not to work on export (no matter if fbx or dae) and it´s not SD´s fault...

edit2: In Modo, have to freeze "sub-D´d geometry" first, then it will display correct... hmmm

Hi,

The sub-D won't transfer. As you mentioned, you would need to freeze the sub-d level to have it retain the rounded edges. When exporting from Voidworld, it must freeze sub-d. If you have just a six-sided cube, you wouldn't want to complete smooth this. It would cause shading errors because the sides are at 90 degree angles.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes,

when in VoidWorld (NVil) and exporting from 3d View with "Sub-D toggled on", the cube is going to be exported as sub-d cube (round edges), when Toggle "Sub-D off" and exporting, it will just be a box (no rounded edges here).

I was not aware, that one have to freeze Sub-D in Modo, before exporting... so what you see in the 3D-Viewport is not, what you will get on export (if you not freeze).

Ok, I gain some hope to finally find my toolset to dive into, hehehehe

Have a sweet day...

/ Solved