Author Topic: Ambient Occlusion node different than in tutorial  (Read 6748 times)

Hi! I was following the tutorial "Substance Designer Getting Started 03 - Material Blending Part 1". I'm using Substance Designer 2017.1.2 trial. My Ambient Occlusion node doesn't have "Spreading" or the Equalizer controls. It only has Height Depth, Radius, Quality, and GPU Optimization.

I tried looking in the documentation, but I couldn't find anything on Height-Based AO. How should I adjust the AO in SD 2017?

Thanks!

Hi! I was following the tutorial "Substance Designer Getting Started 03 - Material Blending Part 1". I'm using Substance Designer 2017.1.2 trial. My Ambient Occlusion node doesn't have "Spreading" or the Equalizer controls. It only has Height Depth, Radius, Quality, and GPU Optimization.

I tried looking in the documentation, but I couldn't find anything on Height-Based AO. How should I adjust the AO in SD 2017?

Thanks!

HI,

I'm sorry for the confusion on this. We added a new node for AO which is HBAO or Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion. This node is way better than the original. All you need to change is the height depth which is like the intensity and the Radius which is like the spreading. The results you get are much better.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks - that helps! I kind of figured it out by playing around with the settings.

Hi I ran into the same problem following Substance for Unity: Chapter 02-01 Creating rock shapes , altough I am currently using the new ambient occlusion node it is not compatible with unity yet.

Currently im trying to import the substance into unity but I can only do that with compatibility V5 nodes. The new ambient occlusion node is not yet supported. Does substance include a different similar node or a way to change this node so the substance can be imported in unity?

Thanks!

---EDIT: Found the old node in C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\resources\packages -----
Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:42:18 am

Hi I ran into the same problem following Substance for Unity: Chapter 02-01 Creating rock shapes , altough I am currently using the new ambient occlusion node it is not compatible with unity yet.

Currently im trying to import the substance into unity but I can only do that with compatibility V5 nodes. The new ambient occlusion node is not yet supported. Does substance include a different similar node or a way to change this node so the substance can be imported in unity?

Thanks!

---EDIT: Found the old node in C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\resources\packages -----

Hi,

The recent betas of Unity now support the SD 6 and higher engine. It should be 2017.2.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja