Author Topic: Tangent SPace Plugin for Substance Painter  (Read 1235 times)

I was looking for a tangent space plugin in Substance Painters settings - does Painter has this option, or is it not available?

Which brings me to the question about the difference between Painters and Designers bakers: What's the long term strategy for these two, are they going to be synced (same features, same outputs)?

I was looking for a tangent space plugin in Substance Painters settings - does Painter has this option, or is it not available?

The option for choosing the tangent space plugin is not in Painter yet.

What's the long term strategy for these two, are they going to be synced (same features, same outputs)?
The code for the bakers in Painter and Designer is the same (same shared repository). Usually, newer features are released in Designer first, and then in Painter's next release. Perfect synchronization between the two applications is not possible since they have different release schedules so features have to appear in one of them first. Also there are some bakers (or features) we chose not to include/expose in Painter yet, usually when it is not obvious how they could fit within Painter's specific workflow (e.g. the "Curvature from mesh" baker, since there is already another curvature from low poly only baker, and it is not obvious to handle two bakers which produce the same type of outputs yet with Painter's simpler baking UI).

thanks for the quick reply!

The option for choosing the tangent space plugin is not in Painter yet.

Sounds like this is planned :) From what you write, I assume, that we will be able to use the same plugin in Designer and Painter (once this is available)?

Yes, that's the idea. Actually, Painter is already using the MikkTSpace plugin which is used in Designer. It is currently hardwired though, and what is missing is the code and UI to be able to "plug" anything else in.
Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:10:26 pm

any ETA on adding this option to Painter?

Nothing to announce for now.