Author Topic: 16k  (Read 1960 times)

Is there any update for supporting 16k texture maps ?
I need to tile 16k scanned textures.. substance cant handle it right now. Photoshop oldschool workflow is needed.. very unpleasant haha

Thanks!

Hey, indeed it's not supported for now (no ETA)

Thanks Vincent.

Is it possible you create an ETA ?
Would love to have that feature.

What workflow would you suggest me ?

ETA means "estimate time of arrival" :)
and we don't have any for now.
Note that it's also hardware related, as it would imply crazy GPUs

Hey Vincent, am I right to suggest most of the stuff SP does is CPU-bound? If it's true, then why? Can't u represent every layer as a set of shaders with parameters? In theory this should make the program run waaay faster, which is something it badly needs.

Almost everything happening in Painter is computed on the GPU. Some notable exceptions are the bakers from high poly mesh, and some parts of the particle painting code.
You're right that if we would have done the layers rendering and blending on the CPU, it would have been waaay slower than it is right now ;)
Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:32:04 pm

I really don't want to take your time, but if you can, tell me why is everything so slow then? Once I have my 10-15 fill layers going, grouped in like 4 folders with like 3 to 4 layer masks' layers on each group, painting a line on one of the masks' paint layers takes 2 to 4 seconds to finish! I have no clue why! And that's on a 2k project! And I have NVidia 560 ti that runs most modern games pretty darn well on like 80% max settings. 16Gb RAM. Core i7 processor. No clue at all!

R u waiting for the images to be sent back from GPU to RAM? That might be a singular reason for the slow down I can think of.

Maybe it's the 1Gb VRAM? Could this be the reason for the slowdown?

And why is the first stroke/tweak you do on some complex layer or mask takes forever to load and then all the others are faster? This makes me realy wonder that the 1Gb VRAM I have is probably the bottleneck. Once the stuff is created in the VRAM things start to work faster. Am I right? The problem is, even if that's the way things are, the "fast" speed is still not fast enough. I wonder if the latter might be fixed with the better GPU though... The new ones are way faster I heard. And they work with 4k alright...

In any case, best of luck optimizing the program. You made the tool, no other software can even come close to, we only need it to run a bit faster.

Is there any update for supporting 16k texture maps ?
I need to tile 16k scanned textures.. substance cant handle it right now. Photoshop oldschool workflow is needed.. very unpleasant haha

Thanks!

I'd say you're trying to push Painter outside of its intended purpose. If you need textures that big then you'd want to look at something like Mari which is built to handle that workload.

Maybe it's the 1Gb VRAM? Could this be the reason for the slowdown?
That's likely the cause yes. The amount of VRAM available is probably the most important contribution to Painter's performance. Please note that your GPU is below the minimum configuration we support for Painter (GTX600 or above, with at least 2GB of VRAM, and preferably 4GB, see here).
Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:13:34 pm

Ok, thanks, now at least I know how to solve my problems :).