Author Topic: Texture looks duller and not properly metallic when imported to Unity  (Read 1688 times)

I've been working on a project in Unity and I have created several models so far which have looked perfect when imported into Unity, nearly 1:1 matching the texture within Substance Painter.

But my latest model just isn't working properly. Using the same settings and workflow as worked before, the result within Unity is very dull, the metal isn't properly reflective, one metal part is pure black, etc. Here is a Painter vs Unity viewport shot.

It went from looking like the intended brushed stainless steel and now looks like a cheap injection mold plastic. Also note the exposed portion of the metal within the chamber area went from a dark silver to nearly pitch black. Also the plastic grips look off as well.

This same workflow and methodology has worked flawlessly with several other models until now. Also this texture looks perfectly normal in everything but Unity. Marmoset, UE4, Sketchfab, etc.
Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:58:53 am

I've been working on a project in Unity and I have created several models so far which have looked perfect when imported into Unity, nearly 1:1 matching the texture within Substance Painter.

But my latest model just isn't working properly. Using the same settings and workflow as worked before, the result within Unity is very dull, the metal isn't properly reflective, one metal part is pure black, etc. Here is a Painter vs Unity viewport shot.

It went from looking like the intended brushed stainless steel and now looks like a cheap injection mold plastic. Also note the exposed portion of the metal within the chamber area went from a dark silver to nearly pitch black. Also the plastic grips look off as well.

This same workflow and methodology has worked flawlessly with several other models until now. Also this texture looks perfectly normal in everything but Unity. Marmoset, UE4, Sketchfab, etc.

HI,

In Unity it looks like you are using the default environment in Unity. There isn't much detail in this skybox. You need to use the same HDRI environment that you used in Painter or an HDR that has more details. The default Unity skybox is s simple gradient. Also, make sure that the in the Player Settings, the colorspace is set to linear. Unity defaults to gamma space which is incorrect for the Standard Shader.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja