Author Topic: macOS 10.12.5 Baking screws up on every mesh I try, even simple cube .obj's  (Read 1007 times)

often the ambient occlusion looks like a repeating .HDR environment, UV's are squirrelly etc..

Both substance painter 2.6.1 and 2017.1 give this result. I can no longer bake maps within substance painter :(

prior to using macOS 10.12.5 I was using 10.10.5 and had no issues, except the iRay render wouldn't work without an OS update. Now I can't bake anything, Id honestly rather bake maps then use iRay. lesson learned.

Anything in the way of a fix expected on this?

(NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12288 MB graphics)

Can you post a picture of your high, low, and low displaying your AO bake?

I cant post anything - legal stuff.
I boot into windows, everything works fine. It's not the model, its a macOS 10.12.5 incompatibility with the graphics drivers within substance.

mmourlam has this same issue as he explains in this topic https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16406.0.html and me too as I recently updated to Sierra OS.

Thanks for the link.

seems like not a big priority for Bugfixes as the macOS + NVidia card combo isn't too common.
Too bad:(

Same problem here + impossible to work with wacom tablet on versions after 2.4.1.
Are you on hackintosh? Cause on normal macbook and iMac I have no problems at all.

Guess I'm having the same issue here.

This is my first time in Painter and I've just spent the last 3 days solid watching every video I can find and trying every export option available out of Maya and zBrush, experimenting with different UV layouts and different low and high poly file types, different configurations of Painter's bake params, literally every variable I could think of with no success.

After 3 more hours of failure this morning I install Painter on my 2011 MBP and everything bakes perfect the first time... extremely slow, but I've got maps.

I'm stoked to have anything work at this point and definitely learned a lot the last couple days, but jesus it's been frustrating watching everyone else 1-click bake w/defaults while my maps come up black or grey with no errors.

Any chance this can get some attention? I'm not planning to buy another workstation until the next gen MacPro's drop and would really like to be able to use Painter on my main box.

OSX 10.12.5
MacPro 5,1, 2x 3.33GHz 6-core, 64 GB
EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6gb
NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.15f01

Might be nice to note this on the Tech Specs page as well?
Could save someone else a lot of time.

I'm on a mid-2010 12-core Mac Pro, macOS Sierra with an Nvidia GTX980Ti. I'm having to use version 2.4 of Painter because it seems to be the only one that will bake usable data (or, in fact, any data at all). In fairness, 2.4 is probably all the power I'll ever need, and it works great – but it's annoying that, version after version, this deeply integral feature seems broken (for Mac users).

The Mac/Nvidia combo works fine for every other app I have. And I have a lot, from After Effects to ZBrush.
Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:18:28 pm

I just downloaded 2.5.1 to check and the baking is borked in that as well - right up to version 2017. So as has been mentioned, we're stuck on version 2.4.1 until someone bothers to fix this issue. Or just implement the baking system from this old version in the latest Mac builds!

That's good to know on 2.4.1, thanks - grabbing it now.

Also in 2017.2 Iray post-effects seem broken.
They either have no effect or cause the viewport to go black.

Hi there,

Just to inform you we are ware of this issue now.
We are not able to reproduce it yet, but we are still investigating. It looks like it's related to Nvidia GPU on Mac only. Maybe it's a driver issue, but I'm not sure I have something to suggest right now. We will get back to you once we know more.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Thanks. If there's anything we can do from our end, plus let us know. The latest Nvidia drivers have certainly had some odd effects with my Mac, like my Esc key no longer works and it's very slow waking from sleep!