Author Topic: Paint across seams of texture sets.  (Read 23331 times)

First off.. love the separate texture sets. Thank you!

I know Beta 8 is brand spankin' new and hasn't had time to even marinate yet, but if you could add the ability to paint across multiple texture sets/seams, while still retaining the ability to lock out certain areas from being painted on, I'd be in heaven. The attachment shows what a typical texture setup for me looks like.

I work with figures that are used in Poser and Daz Studio, so textures are utilized completely different. Rather than having an entire figure on a single UV map/texture, the figure is split among several. This one, for example, is split into 8 different UVs.
Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:40:08 am

Hi,

I'm in agreement with Vaskania about having the ability to paint across seams.  We are both actually from another area of the 3D industry so know of each other and have gathered to form a little group (along quite a few others) to support this fabulous set of tools from allegroithmic over at Hivewire but noticed there didn't seem to be a way to select more than one uv map area to give us the ability to paint over seams.  That's really important when dealing with human meshes with multiple uv groups like "Head", "Limbs", "Torso" etc..

If there is a way to go about doing this can someone please provide a detailed tutorial on how? 

Thanks so much

Richard
---Wolff On The Prowl---

Me three! (I think I see a familiar face or so!  ;)

Yes, the Poser community uses multiple material maps for many figures, and generally a non-physical renderer. We need to generate diffuse, bump, displacement, and normal maps for each of these texture sets, too.

I think, it would be possible with Udim texture.

If we can do this with the actual system, it will be great anyway !

Hi,

What is a Udim texture?  I'm a newbie to this suite.
---Wolff On The Prowl---

This may happen eventually in the future, but I don't think it will be possible in the short term.
Our next big milestone is to allow to work in 4k, which should help some of you.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Head of Product Management

I'm excited about 4k. Will there be a Beta 9 then or are you going straight to v1.0? I remember seeing it posted that 4k would be once the app comes out of beta.

There should be a beta 9 in july, but 4k should not be inside I think, as we still have lots of work with it.

Nicolas
Head of Product Management

Any chance you can tell us what to expect from the beta 9?

And +1 on the painting thing, that would be pretty cool

Our next big milestone is to allow to work in 4k, which should help some of you.

YES!

I HIGHLY +1,000 this, one of my biggest uses of Painter at this point is to help condition mechanical tools which need to have their own UV's per-part to maintain fidelity and proper wear and tear.  If I could paint across UV's/maps or use substances to apply weathering or dirt effects this would dramatically help my pipeline.  I hope this is in the works moving forward, if not for me to use this project then something down the line.  Great news about the 4k support!

I'm going to try a workaround. I'm going to pull my mesh into my modeler and restructure the textures so that the texture sets that share a UV are merged (so in my case, rather than having that entire list, I'll be down to 8 since there are 8 UVs). Then I can use layers and layer masking to paint on different UV islands.

/edit
Well that didn't work as intended. I ended up with multiple copies of the new groups that still had the uv islands separated.
Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:24:25 pm

The issue with painting across seams is that currently each texture set has its own Layer Stack, which is different from one another, they can also have different resolution. This is a very tricky problem to solve.

Not if you allow multiple "layer stack" selections that you want to to paint over seamlessly.

If this is not resolvable then this program will not be useful in working on organic meshes.  Which would be a shame considering I've been waiting for a solution that could be used directly in Photoshop! 
---Wolff On The Prowl---

The issue with painting across seams is that currently each texture set has its own Layer Stack, which is different from one another, they can also have different resolution. This is a very tricky problem to solve.
Is the tricky part something that's specific to substances? I have other programs that will paint seamlessly across an entire figure, even with these separated material zones, but neither of them can do PBR (CS6 Extended (can with Quixel) and a tool called Blacksmith3D, and I've never tried in Blender).

This will still get widely used by me for figures that aren't mapped this way, so if it's not doable then I won't push it.

..I've been waiting for a solution that could be used directly in Photoshop!
You can't use substances directly in Photoshop anyways. Are you thinking of DDO?