Author Topic: SBSAR files when set to transparent or fade lose convergence in VR (repeatable)  (Read 891 times)

Hello Allegorithmic! I am a new user but very excited about your software and already putting it to very good use. I am working in VR, in Unity, using the Vive currently. I have Substance, SteamVR and VRTK assets installed in my build. In VR, Substance files look stunningly amazing. It is a joy! But I found a repeatable bug I was hoping you could help me with.

When setting an SBSAR material to 'fade' or 'transparent' the object the texture is attached to loses visual convergence when in VR. The object will appear to float out of place, and both eyes show it in different locations. Visually it seems the objects lose the stereo separation value, with the left eye image and right eye image both translated slightly to the left and right accordingly.

I'm using SBSAR files authored by Allegorithmic directly from Source. I discovered it using glass_scale, but it occurs with any SBSAR material set to transparent or fade, like hexagon_rubber.

To see the bug the build must be currently running. If you look at the Game view in Unity it will be visible to one side of where it should be. Since the Game view is based on a single eye you need to put on an HMD to see the double image with them both out of place.

I can make a video if you need a better example. You can toggle between transparent and opaque while the build is running and see it move side to side.

We are planning to use Substance materials for large portions of our project and textures with transparency or alpha was definitely an important part of that. We're using non-procedural replacements for now but hoping we can use Substance files.

Thank you!
-Stephen

Hello Allegorithmic! I am a new user but very excited about your software and already putting it to very good use. I am working in VR, in Unity, using the Vive currently. I have Substance, SteamVR and VRTK assets installed in my build. In VR, Substance files look stunningly amazing. It is a joy! But I found a repeatable bug I was hoping you could help me with.

When setting an SBSAR material to 'fade' or 'transparent' the object the texture is attached to loses visual convergence when in VR. The object will appear to float out of place, and both eyes show it in different locations. Visually it seems the objects lose the stereo separation value, with the left eye image and right eye image both translated slightly to the left and right accordingly.

I'm using SBSAR files authored by Allegorithmic directly from Source. I discovered it using glass_scale, but it occurs with any SBSAR material set to transparent or fade, like hexagon_rubber.

To see the bug the build must be currently running. If you look at the Game view in Unity it will be visible to one side of where it should be. Since the Game view is based on a single eye you need to put on an HMD to see the double image with them both out of place.

I can make a video if you need a better example. You can toggle between transparent and opaque while the build is running and see it move side to side.

We are planning to use Substance materials for large portions of our project and textures with transparency or alpha was definitely an important part of that. We're using non-procedural replacements for now but hoping we can use Substance files.

Thank you!
-Stephen

Hey @Joybutton ,

I am glad you are enjoying using Substance! If you can, a video would be useful for us to see exactly what is going on. :) Also, what version of Unity are you using?
Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:59:17 pm

I can certainly do that. Let me set up a test scene to demo the behavior and I'll put together a video clip of the editor as well as in VR. They'll be ready a little later and I'll post the links here.

Thank you very much for looking into this!