Author Topic: Problems exporting with transparent background  (Read 11943 times)

Hi all!

When exporting my textures I've got as a result a black background instead of a transparent one, although I've set Dilation+transparent, RGA+A in the output maps and choosed a file format that supports them. Any clue on what I'm doing wrong? I'm in 2017.2

Thanks in advance.

Hey, could you provide your log file please?
Log file procedure : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file

Do you have an opacity map in your project?

Thx!

Sure!
There goes my log file.
And yes, I have opacity channel activated in a plexiglass kinda material.
Does that give you any hint?

Thank you very much for your interest.

Can you show a screenshot of your export preset configuration ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sorry for the delay.

Here goes a screen snapshot of the export configuration.

Thanks in advance!

I am having the same issue, any updates on this?

Having that problem as well.

Please attach a log file : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file
Also indicates what is your export configuration and if you are using a custom preset a screenshot of it as well.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

After reading a lot of threads about this, without finding any resolutions, I decided to spend a few hours trying everything I could think of. And I found my own solution!

In Substance, go to your "Texture Set Settings" panel. Click the + to add a new "Opacity" channel. Then go into EACH texture set, create a new blank fill layer. Turn off all Material channels for that Fill Layer except the Opacity (op).

Then, in the "Export Textures" panel, make sure your Config preset contains the "A" channel for each output map. Drag the Opacity input map onto the "A" and choose "A Channel".

Then export as a PNG or PSD or something that uses transparency.

This worked for me. I hope it helps someone.

Hi, I'm really new and had trouble following what you mean.

"In Substance, go to your "Texture Set Settings" panel. Click the + to add a new "Opacity" channel." OKAY
 "Then go into EACH texture set" So like for a human figure, Torso, Legs.....?

" create a new blank fill layer. "
Do you mean right click on the layer and create a fill layer and leave it white?

"Turn off all Material channels for that Fill Layer except the Opacity (op)" I think I've got that okay

Then, in the "Export Textures" panel, make sure your Config preset contains the "A" channel for each output map. Drag the Opacity input map onto the "A" and choose "A Channel".  I think I've got that.

"Then export as a PNG or PSD or something that uses transparency." Got that.

"This worked for me. I hope it helps someone." No, I'm either getting it on the usual grey background or nothing if I make the mask black, or I can paint a white bit on a black mask but obviously that's not right either.

Thanks.

"Then go into EACH texture set" So like for a human figure, Torso, Legs.....?
Yeah, for each material that was brought into Substance via your 3D model.

"create a new blank fill layer. "
Do you mean right click on the layer and create a fill layer and leave it white?
In the layers panel, click the icon button on top that says "Add a fill layer". When you turn off the MATERIAL channels for that layer, and are left with only the OP or Opacity channel, the layer icon will show as a transparent checkerboard. In the layers panel, you may also want to switch the drop down from Base Color, to Opacity, to tweak what is effecting the opacity channel.

No, I'm either getting it on the usual grey background or nothing if I make the mask black, or I can paint a white bit on a black mask but obviously that's not right either.
Your Alpha or Opacity will export as a black and white/greyscale bitmap. Sounds like you may have your export settings in order, but just make sure you are exporting the opacity to the alpha. If I were you, I would play around with painting on the opacity channel on different layers, and seeing what gives you the results you want.

After reading a lot of threads about this, without finding any resolutions, I decided to spend a few hours trying everything I could think of. And I found my own solution!

In Substance, go to your "Texture Set Settings" panel. Click the + to add a new "Opacity" channel. Then go into EACH texture set, create a new blank fill layer. Turn off all Material channels for that Fill Layer except the Opacity (op).

Then, in the "Export Textures" panel, make sure your Config preset contains the "A" channel for each output map. Drag the Opacity input map onto the "A" and choose "A Channel".

Then export as a PNG or PSD or something that uses transparency.

This worked for me. I hope it helps someone.

Thank you very much, this really heleped works like a charm.

Regards

Thank you @MechanicalWhispers.

@ Substance Team: Would be nice to speed this workflow up, that it just works with a drag & drop per output map.
I need these transparent backgrounds to create texture atlases for realtime graphics.
You got UDIMs for film industry.. please also do something for the realtime guys now.. xD

I did a trial a couple of years ago and picked up a couple of tips and managed to export transparent images. Then this time hit on it by accident. However didn't really know what I'd done and then couldn't get it to work, so I'm here reading this thread. I've spent hours trying to figure it out. Nothing I've read works in entirety.

I've got my Fill layer with only op set.
I've got my paint layer with only Color set
In the export, the ONLY combination that works is by selecting the preset 'Document Channels + Normal +AO (With Alpha)'

I have no idea why my own Output template doesn't work I've tried all kinds. I am very new to this and don't know if there's even a downside to using that preset. I would just use PBR if I didn't want a transparent layer for Layer Image Editor in Daz Studio.
Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:05:36 pm

I got this problem now, too...

If I create new export presets, exactly how I used to do it before updating to latest version of Substance Painter, I get either black or grey background where there is no "data" ...
Before the update, those areas got exported as transparent in my PNG's.

If I open my older substance painter files, saved before updating, these export correctly with transparent background if using my old export profile (From Cache) , but when selecting my new profile with identical settings, I don't get transparent background anymore.

The only way for me to get transparent background with the new version, is to use the
'Document Channels + Normal +AO (With Alpha)' profile, since the Cache'd profiles get lost after saving old project files in the new version (I think, since I can't find them unless loading old save.)

It seems the "new" PNG's get saved with no transparency data, since default layer name becomes "Background" while opening in photoshop, meaning there's no transparency data, while my old png's opens as "Layer 1" in PS.

Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:57:33 am