Author Topic: Multiple Anchor Points needed  (Read 7105 times)

I have this posted on the steam forums too:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/454510/discussions/0/1470840994978973738/

We need a way to reference multiple anchor points instead of just one at a time. It would remove the method of baking out a final normal map and then bringing that back into the project and baking out the other additional maps. This is something I do on a regular basis so that my dirt and edges..etc will take the normals of my materials into consideration. It is, however, actually destructive in that it completely replaces the additional maps and is cumbersome to edit after.

I was hoping that I could have multiple layers with anchor points all named the same and then my generators would be able to reference all of them together, but it does not...and I feel it should. Instead, it has a list of all of the anchor points, all sharing the same name. So we can only reference one of them at any given time.

I think it would be best if you named your anchor points the same, then they would be combined together, as one combined mask/reference. Perhaps we could get an option on each anchor point for the combine method such as multiply,overlay..etc. and then have their order in the layer stack determine how they're blended?

In the majority of cases, we have multiple material layers on the model across the various surfaces that we paint. There's no real way to ever combine that into one layer if you need metal, leather, rubber...etc. We could bake out a single height map, but that's the same as what I've been doing with normal maps...it's destructive.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
Indeed it's a legit request: we have already launched this discussion internally :)

Actually, you can do it:
- just paint what you want in different layers
- add a layer on top of it, and set all the channels to passthrough
- create an anchor for this channel

Excellent idea, I should of thought of that myself. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try this on my next project.

Just made a video tuto of it (should be released soon ;) )

Awesome, love the videos you guys put out.

Just FYI, I tried this and it works outright and is way easier than even I wanted it to be. Thanks for the suggestion.

perfect ;)

For those reading, the "passthrough" layer should be the PAINT layer not the FILL layer, otherwise this won't work.

Just made a video tuto of it (should be released soon ;) )

Since this was over a month ago I'm assuming this video tut has been "released"? Would you please link me up? :)

Thanks!

The vid is made, but not processed to be online :)
shouldn't be too long but it's out of my hands :)

Just FYI, I tried this and it works outright and is way easier than even I wanted it to be. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you explain how you did this?

The vid is made, but not processed to be online :)
shouldn't be too long but it's out of my hands :)

Could you do a more in depth text explanation since the video is not being prioritized?

I tried all sorts of combinations but it didn't work for me, here are my layers without changing them

Hey, here is an example:

Note that with this configuration, you can have more than one layer affecting the height, as long as they are below the anchor in the layer stack.

Hey, here is an example:

Note that with this configuration, you can have more than one layer affecting the height, as long as they are below the anchor in the layer stack.

This worked for me thank you! At first I was confused because I put it as passthrough in "base color" channel instead of the "height" channel since the screenshot shows it in base color. I'm a simple ape.