Author Topic: shaders issue - rendering diffuse as black  (Read 7956 times)

Hi there, I thought this was a usage issue on my part for a bit but now I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure I cannot get any diffuse texture to render on the Relief shader, nor the blinn shader, & physically spec_gloss. On my Mac it always seems to be black.. the physically based shader seems to work, the lambert, not the others.

Have tried switching engines and no luck. Have checked my diffuse is 8Bit..

The chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (256mb vram)
Its a 3.06GHtz cpu
OSX 10.6.8
8GB ram

Thanks for any advice!

Hi there, I thought this was a usage issue on my part for a bit but now I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure I cannot get any diffuse texture to render on the Relief shader, nor the blinn shader, & physically spec_gloss. On my Mac it always seems to be black.. the physically based shader seems to work, the lambert, not the others.

Have tried switching engines and no luck. Have checked my diffuse is 8Bit..

The chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (256mb vram)
Its a 3.06GHtz cpu
OSX 10.6.8
8GB ram

Thanks for any advice!

Hi,

Your machine specs look fine. Can you post a screen of the graph so I can see the outputs? Would it be possible to post the sbs file?

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:45:04 am

Also I made a brand new default graph, added a normal colour and two uniform colours and reset everything in the 3d view and made sure I'd clicked the display graph on model option.. and it was still like this? so I guess its my setup.. its the late 2009 imac.

Thats the relief shader

I'm having the EXACT same issues. And when I go to SCENE>RESETALL in the 3D viewport, it just makes my object a defualt grey with reflections....and no matter what I do to the outputs, the objects reflection, and color stays the exact same......Allegorithmic needs to get this straightened out.

Also I made a brand new default graph, added a normal colour and two uniform colours and reset everything in the 3d view and made sure I'd clicked the display graph on model option.. and it was still like this? so I guess its my setup.. its the late 2009 imac.

Thats the relief shader

Hmm, yeah there shouldn't be an issue with the graph you have setup. Can you post info about your GPU?

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I'm having the EXACT same issues. And when I go to SCENE>RESETALL in the 3D viewport, it just makes my object a defualt grey with reflections....and no matter what I do to the outputs, the objects reflection, and color stays the exact same......Allegorithmic needs to get this straightened out.

Can you please post information about your GPU?

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Yeah here you go.

Here we go Wes:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model:   NVIDIA GeForce 9400
  Type:   GPU
  Bus:   PCI
  VRAM (Total):   256 MB
  Vendor:   NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:   0x0869
  Revision ID:   0x00b1
  ROM Revision:   3454
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution:   1920 x 1080
  Pixel Depth:   32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:   Yes
  Mirror:   Off
  Online:   Yes
  Built-In:   Yes
Display Connector:

Still broken Wes. Almost at the 3 month mark now.

Hi DW,

Your video card is too old.
I have a GTX 680 and your file is fine on my machine.

Checkout this link and you understand how the card you have lacks a bit of power and too old.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Well I can run numerous bumped spec shaders in Unity so running a bumped diffuse shader doesn't seem to be asking too much.

Any advice on selecting an older build of SD would be appreciated. I assume these shaders worked in versions 1 2 or 3 on such a card? theres got to be some combo of SD and my gfx card that works for relief shaders surely? Bumpmaps/normal maps are not new tech..

Thanks for your perspective though, I have taken it on board.

Still broken Wes. Almost at the 3 month mark now.

I'm very sorry for not getting back sooner. In SD, you can switch to use the CPU engine. This way, your GPU would not come into play on the computation. You can do this by going to Tools>Switch Engine and choosing SSE2.

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:35:35 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

I'm afraid he already tried that Wes, cf. his original message.

@deepwater3d: The nvidia 9xxx should work ok with our shaders. Your machine's VRAM is rather low, so you may run into trouble when working on larger resolutions, but you posted screenshots of the issue with 512x512 textures so that's probably not the problem here.  Your machine is running an older version of MacOS so it could be a driver issue but xhat puzzles me is that the more complicated PBR shader work, but not the simpler ones. Are you sure you haven't accidentally switched off the point light sources ? Can you post your scene settings ? Also, can you try to add some ambient light and tell us if the diffuse texture appears ?

@ajthomas : your problem is probably caused by something different since your hardware & OS are completely different. Can you post also a screenshot of your scene settings (lighting) ? Can you try also to add some ambient light ? Which shader precisely are working as expected and which aren't ?

Something else to try that came from another one of the SD developers is to disable the post effect in the preferences to disable Yebis and lower the GPU usage

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com