Author Topic: Houdini to Substance Painter and Mesh Names  (Read 5457 times)

Had a few questions…

I keep exporting FBX files to Substance Painter but it can never read the vertex colors. Anyone have any idea what's going on or any thing people generally miss? I have the FBX settings on default unless I'm supposed to change something but experimenting with all sorts of changes yields no vertex colors.

Also how do you get Substance Painter to recognize the different mesh names? I've tried group names matching with _high and _low suffixes to isolate baking to mesh parts as well as attribute primitive strings with the name of the mesh with the suffix…and Painter can't read the parts independently of one another and feels like I'm forced to explode the mesh to bake. I hope the only way isn't to have EVERY PART at the object level as that's not practical. The mesh in question I want on ONE texture sheet so no I do not want a separate material index for each single part in case anyone suggests that

As for baking internally I've tried the gameshelf baker and pointed it to my high and low mesh … it exports 256 by 256 black tiles no matter what I do despite the resolution being set to typical 2048, 4096 etc.

Thanks.

Had a few questions…

I keep exporting FBX files to Substance Painter but it can never read the vertex colors. Anyone have any idea what's going on or any thing people generally miss? I have the FBX settings on default unless I'm supposed to change something but experimenting with all sorts of changes yields no vertex colors.

Also how do you get Substance Painter to recognize the different mesh names? I've tried group names matching with _high and _low suffixes to isolate baking to mesh parts as well as attribute primitive strings with the name of the mesh with the suffix…and Painter can't read the parts independently of one another and feels like I'm forced to explode the mesh to bake. I hope the only way isn't to have EVERY PART at the object level as that's not practical. The mesh in question I want on ONE texture sheet so no I do not want a separate material index for each single part in case anyone suggests that

As for baking internally I've tried the gameshelf baker and pointed it to my high and low mesh … it exports 256 by 256 black tiles no matter what I do despite the resolution being set to typical 2048, 4096 etc.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you create vertex color data in Houdini? It should export with the FBX file. To use the data, you can bake it in the ID baker. It defaults to Vertex Color.

For the mesh names, the mesh parts need to be separated. You don't have to explode the mesh. Instead of moving the mesh parts, you just name them according to the suffix. For example arm_low and arm_high.

Cheers,
wes
Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:07:22 pm
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I'm in the same boat here- HOW do you separate them? I made a separate geometry object for each part I want to separate, how do I get them to go into a single FBX? I've tried wiring them back into file nodes to export from, but those take a single input. I've tried selecting multiple geometry objects in the FBX export dialogue but substance says there are no meshes in it when I open the FBX in substance.