Author Topic: How to install Substance Bonus Tools for Maya 2015 OS X  (Read 9733 times)

Hey Wes!

I am digging my way into all things Substance.  Been playing around a bit with Designer and Painter, then learned how to create the Substance node in Hypershade.  Of course, the first thing I wanted to do was render in Mental Ray, but that didn't work.  My Google-fu revealed that I need to install Substance Bonus Tools, however, the documentation is a bit out-dated.

After downloaded, i get a folder named OSX which contains five folders and one file:

Additional_Contents
Documents
Library
Python.framework
scripts
UserGuide

Can you tell this OS X user exactly where to place these items?

Thanks!

-Steve
Steve Talkowski
Design. Create. Animate.

Hey Wes!

I am digging my way into all things Substance.  Been playing around a bit with Designer and Painter, then learned how to create the Substance node in Hypershade.  Of course, the first thing I wanted to do was render in Mental Ray, but that didn't work.  My Google-fu revealed that I need to install Substance Bonus Tools, however, the documentation is a bit out-dated.

After downloaded, i get a folder named OSX which contains five folders and one file:

Additional_Contents
Documents
Library
Python.framework
scripts
UserGuide

Can you tell this OS X user exactly where to place these items?

Thanks!

-Steve

Hi Steve!

So awesome you are getting into Substance! Please post some of our renders. I know that will be awesome! You don't need the bonus tools anymore. The functionality is built into the plugin now. You need to click on Automatic connections in the Automatic Baking section for the Substance Parameters. This will create a texture that will work with Mental Ray. You can then use the material or use custom MR materials with that texture. Also, the substance parameters can still be used to change the texture.

Cheers,

Wes

Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:00:06 pm
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

This is great, but how to get the shelf?

This is great, but how to get the shelf?

I'm sorry, we don't have a shelf anymore as the bonus tools are no longer supported. I can look at creating a new shelf.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

That would be very cool!  Thanks Wes! 

-parrish