Author Topic: forward rendering vs deferred one  (Read 1622 times)

Hi there

I'm wondering are there any guidelines on which rendering system to use when we have PBR materials in our games? I've been searching the web for an hour now but I couldn't find any direct guideline on the differences of the rendering systems when using the PBR shader. This makes me guess that PBR works with both systems and there isn't any specific guideline regarding the subject. But I need to make sure of that.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi there

I'm wondering are there any guidelines on which rendering system to use when we have PBR materials in our games? I've been searching the web for an hour now but I couldn't find any direct guideline on the differences of the rendering systems when using the PBR shader. This makes me guess that PBR works with both systems and there isn't any specific guideline regarding the subject. But I need to make sure of that.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

This article is a good break down on forward vs deferred.
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PiotrSobolewski/20160531/273912/How_To_Choose_Between_Forward_or_Deferred_Rendering_Paths_in_Unity.php

I would say it really comes down to where you game will be played. Both deferred and forward have plus and minuses when it comes down to the features supported.

Deferred shading/rendering has nothing to do with PBR, it's simply a method of rendering, where it separates out the elements of the rendered image (like diffuse, normals, shadows, etc) and composites them together. It's an alternative to forward rendering where it just renders the image.

Cheers,
Wes
Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:47:27 pm
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Mr. McDermott

Thanks a lot for your quick response. :)

It's several days I've been planning to write this letter to you in private. But when I noticed you've replied here I decided to make the letter public:

I highly owe you. I learned soooooooo much from you and you taught me all the essentials in a very quick and easy to understand manner.

The awesome tutorials you've recorded taught me a lot, but on the other hand the way you explain things to make them easy to understand is admirable and makes me enjoy while I'm watching.

Not only the content you provide, but even the tone of your voice shows how you devote all your presence to help other people easily learn what you've learned with a great deal of effort on those old days.

There are two kinds of teachers. The first kind is the one who keeps the secrets to himself to remain "the boss". The second kind is the one who shares everything and even learns new things in favor of his students.

You indeed belong to the second kind of teachers, and I'll never forget your kindness and great help.

People like you give everyone a great lesson, a lesson even more important than the content they provide. As one of your students, I'll do my best to be a helpful person like you, not only in computer graphics, but also in every aspect of my life.

Sincerely
Kindest Regards :)
Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:08:06 pm

Mr. McDermott

Thanks a lot for your quick response. :)

It's several days I've been planning to write this letter to you in private. But when I noticed you've replied here I decided to make the letter public:

I highly owe you. I learned soooooooo much from you and you taught me all the essentials in a very quick and easy to understand manner.

The awesome tutorials you've recorded taught me a lot, but on the other hand the way you explain things to make them easy to understand is admirable and makes me enjoy while I'm watching.

Not only the content you provide, but even the tone of your voice shows how you devote all your presence to help other people easily learn what you've learned with a great deal of effort on those old days.

There are two kinds of teachers. The first kind is the one who keeps the secrets to himself to remain "the boss". The second kind is the one who shares everything and even learns new things in favor of his students.

You indeed belong to the second kind of teachers, and I'll never forget your kindness and great help.

People like you give everyone a great lesson, a lesson even more important than the content they provide. As one of your students, I'll do my best to be a helpful person like you, not only in computer graphics, but also in every aspect of my life.

Sincerely
Kindest Regards :)

Thank you so very much for the kind words : ) I greatly appreciate it and it really means a lot to me. This really made my day to read. If you ever need help, please feel free to contact me directly at wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com.

Cheers,
Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja