Author Topic: Alpha/Foliage Workflow Help  (Read 3051 times)

I'm trying to find a workflow for making custom foliage. For the current example that I'm working on, I wanted to sculpt a single leaf and turn it into a plane that I can then duplicate and use in various ways. I have the single leaf plane, but I don't know how to bake out the clump of leaves onto a plane of its own. I tried exporting the clump of planes as the high poly with the albedo of the single leaf plugged into the material then baking an ID map using "Material" onto the low poly, but that didn't give me an albedo for the clump, just a monocolor ID.

Ideally, following the workflow I would be able to make a few single leaf plane variations and a few single branch plane variations. I can then arrange the planes together and then bake them onto a single plane to have a full branch with leaves on a single plane. Maybe that's not the best way to create custom foliage, so I was wondering how to fix this problem or if I need to look at some other workflow.

Bump

Bump

Hey sorry for the late answer...
Do you mind posting few screenshots of where you are and what you are exactly aiming pls?

Hey sorry for the late answer...
Do you mind posting few screenshots of where you are and what you are exactly aiming pls?

I apologize for the late response.

In the screenshot, I have a composition of alpha planes that create an entire flower. There is also the attached texture sheet. What I am asking is how I can take what I have now and bake all of the maps against another plane. So I am baking the entire composited flower onto a single plane. The first composited pieces were made by individual baking (petal to a plane, bulb to geo, stamen to a plane, etc). Now I want to take the composition of all of these and bake them onto a single plane with all of the texture information (color, normal, roughness). This way, I can take the individually created pieces and make variations of the flower that can easily be baked. I hope that makes sense.

did you try a color mask from mesh baker?

Yea, I originally tried baking an "ID" map based on the material of the object, using the texture sheet as the input for the color. For some reason this doesn't work in either Painter or Designer. It seems to not find my material - it bakes a blank gray texture. For objects with simple materials it bakes the colors fine. However, with this material that has a texture input, it doesn't work.

Now I want to take the composition of all of these and bake them onto a single plane with all of the texture information (color, normal, roughness).

Far as I know there's no auto "bake from object to texture" feature in Painter where it does what you're asking for.  It's standard in Modo but in SP you'll have to manually find a "hack" workflow to do it if your 3d app doesn't have this feature.
Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:10:04 pm

You should be able to do that with the "Texture From Mesh" baker of Substance Designer. Unfortunately, it has not been included in Substance Painter yet.

You should be able to do that with the "Texture From Mesh" baker of Substance Designer. Unfortunately, it has not been included in Substance Painter yet.

This seems to be what I'm looking for. How would I do that for something with opacity, though? My bake is working, but I don't know how I would do it with opacity.

Indeed, it's not going to work for input objects with non opaque textures. The ray tracing projection will stop at the first surface intersected, regardless of its texture's opacity.
Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:47:15 pm