Author Topic: How to convert height map to normal?  (Read 14065 times)

Hi,

I'd like to know how can I convert a height map into normal texture with substance painter.
I've been substance designer so far and I've used the Height normal blender node, when I want to convert my height map into a normal, then feed it into the Normal output node.
I can't seem to find that option in SP.
Any help would be appreciated.

Here is how I setup the height normal node in SD

painter will convert the height map to a normal map when you export the textures.  Use any of the exsisting PBR exporters or create your own.  If you create your own use either Normal OpenGL or Normal DirectX in the converted maps section.  This will automatically combine your height and normal maps.

painter will convert the height map to a normal map when you export the textures.  Use any of the exsisting PBR exporters or create your own.  If you create your own use either Normal OpenGL or Normal DirectX in the converted maps section.  This will automatically combine your height and normal maps.

What he said.  I would like to add when I export out the height/normal map, I'll bring it back in and replace the normal map in the TextureSet Settings and re-bake.  If you do this, be sure to uncheck Normal before baking.  Otherwise, it'll replace the finished normals with what you started with.

Ok, but what is the advantage of this approach, why not leave the heightmap as is and later export out all the textures?

Cheers
Jay
I am creating 3d tutorials on youtube about 3d and game development.

Because the details left in the height map are not exported out as a normal map, they will not read the information in the height map when using Smart Materials. I like to export the height information as a normal map, bring it back into SP and apply it to the Normal Baked Maps slot.  I'll remove the High Poly mesh, uncheck the Normal bake option(this way the normal map I dropped into isn't baked over), and it'll convert that info into the other maps, allowing me to use SM's that'll scratch, break, rub, etc to all the details I've applied initially to the mesh I'm working on.  I found this info in a video narrated by Wes, I just can't find it at the moment.  When I do, I'll share it here.

It isn't the video but this post will probably better explain it.

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=13066.0