Author Topic: Help (Please) with understanding error  (Read 2134 times)

Hi, in SD I can build interesting materials, but when it comes to exporting I am hitting a few issues. This is my graph with the least errors. Can someone with some experience please help me understand what I must do to get past this error in the screenshot?

Thanks in advance,
AaronC

Hi, in SD I can build interesting materials, but when it comes to exporting I am hitting a few issues. This is my graph with the least errors. Can someone with some experience please help me understand what I must do to get past this error in the screenshot?

Thanks in advance,
AaronC

Hi Aaron,

The publish error window is only showing warnings. You can ignore what you see in that window. However, there is another error. Can you try going to Window>Console and opening the console before publishing. This console should give us the error causing the publish to fail.

Typically, there are two reasons for a publish to fail.

1. A dependency that was being used was deleted or removed
2. There are embedded bitmaps set to 4K resolution or many embedded bitmaps with their format set to RAW. For publishing to Unity, you will want to set any resources to JPEG compression (leave normal maps at RAW). You can select the resource then in the parameters change the Bitmap Format to jpeg.

More than likely, the issue is caused by reason #2.

Please take a look at the console and let me know if it gives the cause of publishing failure.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes, I'm on the other side of being completely new to this so have managed to get many substances into Unity. Loving the pipeline to be honest.

Wes:"The publish error window is only showing warnings. You can ignore what you see in that window. However, there is another error. Can you try going to Window>Console and opening the console before publishing. This console should give us the error causing the publish to fail. "

Sorry I just churned out a lot of cookups and eventually got there. The warnings however were also producing a zero kb file, so that was actually a showstopper, but following your advice I got where I needed to go.

Wes : *Error could be: "There are embedded bitmaps set to 4K resolution or many embedded bitmaps with their format set to RAW."

Ok so I've managed to cook with 4K texture bitmaps, but you advise against doing so? Sometimes it will work, sometimes not? I found switching all non-normal maps to Jpeg compression allowed me to cook. Under the Jpeg /raw option theres a compression quality thats by default set to minimum. Should that be ramped up to maximum? Is it relevant?

Thanks for any further advice.

Hi Wes, I'm on the other side of being completely new to this so have managed to get many substances into Unity. Loving the pipeline to be honest.

Wes:"The publish error window is only showing warnings. You can ignore what you see in that window. However, there is another error. Can you try going to Window>Console and opening the console before publishing. This console should give us the error causing the publish to fail. "

Sorry I just churned out a lot of cookups and eventually got there. The warnings however were also producing a zero kb file, so that was actually a showstopper, but following your advice I got where I needed to go.

Wes : *Error could be: "There are embedded bitmaps set to 4K resolution or many embedded bitmaps with their format set to RAW."

Ok so I've managed to cook with 4K texture bitmaps, but you advise against doing so? Sometimes it will work, sometimes not? I found switching all non-normal maps to Jpeg compression allowed me to cook. Under the Jpeg /raw option theres a compression quality thats by default set to minimum. Should that be ramped up to maximum? Is it relevant?

Thanks for any further advice.

Hi,

You can use 4K if you need to for your project. Just be sure to not use RAW compression. I will often use 2K maps, but allow my graph to be resized to 4K. In this case, you are upscaling the 2K embedded textures to 4K, but I usually use the 2K maps as base and have built further texture data on top with procedural. So when the graph is set to 4K, you can tell it upscaled the 2K embedded maps.

The JPEG compression at minimum setting is the same as using 75% jpeg compression in photoshop. I think it's the high setting in photoshop.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja