Author Topic: Layer thumbnail has a darker color than the base color picker  (Read 808 times)

Hello, this is my first post here on the forum.

So I've been using Substance Painter for a while and have had this problem for as long as I can remember. It happens on both my desktop and my laptop. It happens across all my projects and makes it really hard to pick the same color from another layer (as you do in a lot of your videos). I was hoping this problem would get patched in the spring release, but alas I was wrong.

Basically what is happening is that (I think) the color in the layer stack is in gamma space and the color in the material settings is in linear space. I have no idea how to fix this, what is causing it and how to reproduce it on another machine.

I dunno if it will help, but I attached the Painter log file, DxDiag file and some screenshots of the problem. If you need more information, please ask!

Thank you!

Hey, I think it's because your base color channel is set in linear.
(could you join yoour log file as well please?)

Hello, thanks for the reply!

I did join the log file but something might have gone wrong, sorry about that. I will try again. Please tell me if you need anything else. Thanks.

Yes, this happens because you switched your Base Color channel to Linear in your Texture Set Settings options.

Yes, that was it! It was set to something other than sRGB8, why and when I changed that I have no idea. And that both my desktop and laptop were affected! But thank you! I will be much more careful in the future!