Author Topic: Workflow question: Number of objects  (Read 1516 times)

Hello!

I can't seem to find a hieracy window in painter, and my multi-object models seem to import as a single mesh..Is the best way to use painter to split objects up in my modelling app and import each piece separately one at a time? So you only ever have a single mesh in a scene?

Is there alternatively any merit in having a single modeled object, with multiple materials - or is that kind of pointless?

Thanks a bunch :)

Hello!

I can't seem to find a hieracy window in painter, and my multi-object models seem to import as a single mesh..Is the best way to use painter to split objects up in my modelling app and import each piece separately one at a time? So you only ever have a single mesh in a scene?

Is there alternatively any merit in having a single modeled object, with multiple materials - or is that kind of pointless?

Hello,

Support for multi-material is coming very soon! I just recored a video on the workflow. Hopefully it will be next beta release. You can have a single mesh object that has multiple mesh layers. Each material will be placed on it's own layer. You can have a UV set target a specific material layer and the layer stack itself will be specific to the material you are using. It works very well.

More to come!

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

That sounds like what I mean! I think I have found a workflow in the meantime :) I am enjoying the software.

Thanks Wes
Aaron

Hello!

Hello,

Support for multi-material is coming very soon! I just recored a video on the workflow. Hopefully it will be next beta release. You can have a single mesh object that has multiple mesh layers. Each material will be placed on it's own layer. You can have a UV set target a specific material layer and the layer stack itself will be specific to the material you are using. It works very well.

I'd love to see that video on multi-materials! Here's hoping it's posted soon. :)

Hello!

Hello,

I'd love to see that video on multi-materials! Here's hoping it's posted soon. :)

Hello,

The video is posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQJZgdy2EuU&index=7&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCzhPKtFFF6xVEAOvfUJcV3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_RiV3rmcbI&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCzhPKtFFF6xVEAOvfUJcV3s&index=7
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja