Author Topic: Substance Plugin 4.2.0.1 Released  (Read 6164 times)

The plugin is available on github:
https://github.com/Allegorithmic/UnrealEngine

This release is compatible with UE4.2.0
Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:37:29 pm

Nice. It works great in-editor. But if I try to build a standalone, this happens:
LogPlayLevel:Display: UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: Couldn't find referenced module 'SubstanceCore'.

^^^^ Happens to me as well.

I built 4.2.0.0 and was able to build the Editor fine. However, opening up ShooterDemo 4.1 and trying to convert to 4.2 would not build and I got the same exact error.

1>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Debug_Game Win32 ------
1>EXEC : error : Couldn't find referenced module 'SubstanceCore'.
1>H:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command "C:\UnrealEngine\UnrealEngineSubstancePlugin\UnrealEngine\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Game Win32 Debug" exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Hello everyone! I have pushed a new version, 4.2.0.1 and it should be no problem converting projects to 4.2. We are still working on standalone support but 4.2.0.1 should compile standalone builds as well.

When I compiled 4.2.0.1, when enabling the plugin at the engine, the version says 4.2.0.0. Is that normal?

Hello everyone! I have pushed a new version, 4.2.0.1 and it should be no problem converting projects to 4.2. We are still working on standalone support but 4.2.0.1 should compile standalone builds as well.

I still get the error that substance is missing. Even though it works in the editor. I haven't built shipping version, so that obviously doesn't work. The development release works, but only substance is missing. Maybe I (and others) are building it incorrectly?

Update: It turned out that to compile correctly one must right select from UE4 folder and not use the general compiler in the menu. This because there exists MAC Connections that will not compile if you do. So now I have compiled (successfully) all variants (including x86, and yes I do know there is no x86 version of Substance (I hope this will get fixed)) but it is impossible to build an independent build. Development or shipping because it cannot find the Substance dlls (as they don't get included in the packaging). The editor works just fine however. So if anyone got suggestions on how to successfully build a shipping version and have the dlls (and settings) properly included, I am all ears :) And also to emphasize: I am talking about building a package from *within* the editor itself. *Not* compiled by Visual Studio. :)
Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:19:25 pm

UE4.2.1 is released ! I wonder when your plugin will work by defaults with evry UE4 version and won't need source update anymore. Speedtree will be by default in 4.3, why you don't do such initiative?

I'm sure they do what they can in that regard :) Edit: I'm going to rant about the missing shipping DLLs any more. I've lost hope there.
Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:40:37 pm

It is Epic's decision, not ours, but stay assured we are working with them to make it happen as soon as possible. SUbstance should be integrated by default as a plugin in 4.3.
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:32:35 pm

It is Epic's decision, not ours, but stay assured we are working with them to make it happen as soon as possible. SUbstance should be integrated by default as a plugin in 4.3.

Now this is good new, in fact it is the best news I have ever heard about Substance. Thank you !

This should be on the front page of the website! You should Facebook it, Tweet it, Flickr it, everything it - have it made into a song!