Author Topic: Help on shape making  (Read 2355 times)

Hi all!
I just started with substance and I really love it
I am trying to build a floor shape similar to the images I added here.
I am learning about the shape nodes, the splatter circular and polar to Cartesian nodes and looking at tutorials. For now I am just focusing in recreating the geometric pattern and if someone feels like it I would love some advice on how to tackle it :)
Right now I am now looking for a way to create the inner daisy flower. I was trying to add a disk on the top of a rectangle and then use splatter circular but I can't figure out a way to taper the base of it. Any advice\workflow idea on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

PS: on a side note, does the tessellation method to view height only work on the HRes plane? I can not seem to make it work on anything else.

Hi all!
I just started with substance and I really love it
I am trying to build a floor shape similar to the images I added here.

PS: on a side note, does the tessellation method to view height only work on the HRes plane? I can not seem to make it work on anything else.

I believe there needs to a some minimum number of polygons for tessellation to do its magic.  I don't know what that number might be, but that's why it works on the HRes plane.

Hopefully someone can confirm this, and provide more detail.  But that is what I have inferred from other posts and my own limited observations.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Thanks! Makes sense :) But then I wonder why increasing the tessellation parameter does not work. Shouldn't it do just the same thing?

I have a graph that is going to be used for Lynda.com course (see image below) and I use the tessellation method on the rounded cube for that, it does work on the other Geo types in SD, below I am using a Tessellation factor of 64 with a scale of 1 in the height controls. The height node is set to a intensity of 0.005 but that's because the normals for this particular graph produce almost black and white height maps.

To create the details I would recommend making each of your shapes in their own flow and then running them shapes into the splatter circular and then combining each of the splatter nodes together to create the final piece, then you can go back and adjust the radius controls on each of the splatters till they all line up to where you want them too. As a tip you can use the centre orientation option and then rotate them to get them to face from the centre out.

Hope this helps.

Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:36:57 pm

To make the tapered parts you could use black squares to cut  off a parts of the shape. To keep it symmetrical you only have to do one side, and then use a mirror node.
You could also try the svg node and just draw out one side and use the mirror again to make it symmetrical.

As for the tessellation: very fine details, like cracks between stones, won't show up unless you have a high enough polycount. Even if you subdivide with a factor of 64 this can be to little sometimes. The high-res plane has a very high polycount to start with (higher then a regular plane with a factor of 64), so that plus an increased tessellation factor makes for an extremely high polycount. You can get a better image of it by turning on the wireframe (Display>wireframe. Do mind: this can cause some slowdowns/ possibly crashes at very high polycounts)
What happens if you use something less detailed, like a perlin noise, for a heightmap? If still nothing happens there's something else wrong.