WIP: Handpainted Brick wall

Author Topic: WIP: Handpainted Brick wall  (Read 1262 times)

Hey all,

This will be my first non-scripting post on the forums :)
Within the studio I work at we are learning ourselves Substance Designer and Painter.
In my spare time I'm now trying to get familiar with the software, so I decided to try and create a handpainted brick wall.

I made it hard for myself, for not allowing me to do a regular brick wall. After watching a couple of videos and learning great techniques, this is what I have so far (BaseColor WIP, no roughness and metallic yet)

So far, I think the hardest thing was to create the brick pattern. In the end, I used a technique that was explained in a tutorial to create cracks, and I combined this with a regular brick pattern. After some blending and tweaking I was more then happy with the result.

After that, I started doing the cement. I'm aiming for dripping cement between the bricks to enhance the handpainted look.
I did some tests and redid the entire thing like 3 times but now I have something I can work on.
I still need to balance and tweak the entire material, but I think my approach is right.

It still has a long way to go, but I'm glad I start to see some results now. It has been a lot of work so far, but I learned a lot already during this exercise and I'm really starting to love Substance Designer.
Let me know if you guys have any comments, or maybe know of similar techniques that might interest me for this material.

Cheers!