Author Topic: New Substance changes  (Read 18335 times)

D3V

ahhh, so the changes are that 'soft' and without ramps and slants('switcharoos').
Thx fellas. - I/We wish more companies had the level-headed thinking that you guys have. ;) *cough*Adobe*cough*

Any word on Pro users? How does it effect those users? Thanks

Pro users should contact us directly on our contact form for more details.

Sorry if it was already covered...
So was it said that it is $75.00 per software?
Sd $75.00 + sp $75.00 + b2m 75.00
Could end up hitting you $225.00 per year

Or is it $75.00 for all?

$75 per software. Substance Designer and Substance Painter. Bitmap2Material will likely not receive further updates.

Just a curiosity: the new plan will got a retroactive effect for the 'live' subscrivers before June 2017?

f.e. you've subscribed on january 2017 till June 2017, so from June 2017 you need to pay for another six months instead of 12 to obtain the '+ $49' ownership of the apps.

Or when June arrive you should pay for another 12 months anyway?

Your payments will count towards the 12 months, so you will only have 6 more months to pay before you can choose to own the apps.

I purchased the indie license for Painter, Designer and B2M2 in 2014. I then had to pay $75 to upgrade to Painter 2, then had to pay $75 to upgrade to Designer 5. I wasn't all that happy about the upgrade fee in the first place but since I liked your product I did it just to support the cause. The other underlying factor is that I have Painter 2.41 and tried to update to the 2.6 version and it won't open any of my work from 2.4, every time I tried to open anything from the previous version it crashes immediately. So I had uninstall and go back to 2.4. I didn't upgrade to Designer 6 because honestly I was pissed off about another upgrade fee and also being worried that it will break my work from previous versions. If we pay to have updates and they break our work what good is paying for them? Will you refund the purchase price if they don't work for us? I would have been super pissed if I had purchased and update and it broke my work! Sometimes projects go on for years, so we just can't update and have it break our projects that we have invested so much time and effort into. So I for one am not all that happy about this new update model and haven't been all that happy about upgrade fees when the new upgrade and or updates aren't backwards compatible. I guess I'll just stick to the versions I have and hope for the best.

I too feel a little hard done by to be honest, I just purchased SP2 Indie license a month ago and was expecting to get a years worth of updates for the money, 

I realise that $149 isn't a lot of money for the work you guys put into the product but you could have given the recent buyers a year of updates and then charged us.  I have no issue about paying the $75 but please give us a years updates first

I am a hobbyist and do not do this for a living so this license was the cheapest way to learn what is undoubtedly a fantastic product

Thanks Clarke

I too feel a little hard done by to be honest, I just purchased SP2 Indie license a month ago and was expecting to get a years worth of updates for the money

Did you get an email from Allegorithmic?  With a date in it?  It should be 12-months from your purchase date, if I understand this correctly.

I (finally) paid to upgrade to SD 6.0 shortly before this announcement, and per the email I won't see a Designer bill for 12 months.

Assuming you're covered until ~April 2018, when that time comes, you can actually delay your next payment until you see an update that interests you, and make your "12-month" payment then.  So you could wait until August of '18 if you really wanted to.

You can see my question here:  https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16989.15.html#msg71625
and Jeremie's answer immediately following.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Substance Painter 2 owners will get updates until September 2017. We had to pick a date and in September, Substance Painter 2 will have been available for 18 months. We couldn't create a system that adapts to every single case, especially with so many people who bought on Steam and for whom we don't have access to the purchase date.

The new licensing system is here to avoid this very issue and make sure everybody gets their fair share of updates no matter when they buy.

Question : what if my update period finished and there is a bug that preventing me from completing my work (e.g. the bug with id color selection in Substance Painter 2.6.0)  should i pay 75$ to get the bug fixed ? :'(

Question : what if my update period finished and there is a bug that preventing me from completing my work (e.g. the bug with id color selection in Substance Painter 2.6.0)  should i pay 75$ to get the bug fixed ? :'(

But isn't that essentially the problem you have with any software?

Consider a "traditional" licensing plan, where you pay for "major" releases and get "minor release" updates free:
> Purchase the product, currently at v2.3.
> Encounter a bug in v2.3, not fixed in free update 2.4, not fixed in free update 2.5.
> Bug is finally fixed in v3.0, which you would need to purchase
> Should you pay $75 to get v3 which contains your bug fix?

A more direct answer to your question, though, is, "Yes."  If the bug is stopping you from getting work done, $75 to get a fix and become productive is pretty reasonable.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

The same way we release feature updates followed by bugfix updates today, if your subscription ends after a feature release but before  the following bugfix update, you will still have access to that bugfix update.

I gotta say I'm upset about this. I hate subscription software and almost never buy it. I made an exception for Substance Designer for two reasons.

1. It eventually translated into a regular license for the same price as just buying a regular license.
2. It didn't penalize you for pausing your subscription.

The new price might be cheaper but the terms are much worse. When I signed up for this subscription, it was with the understanding that I could pause and resume it without penalty. I've been considering exercising that option recently and pausing until the Unity plugin is fixed, given that after all these months there's no sign of that being any time soon and until it's fixed SD's not something I really want to use. It isn't unusable, but compatibility mode is a constant pain in the ass. I've been working on other, non-SD-reliant projects anyway, I've been thinking I might as well officially pause my SD project until that's fixed. That option's gone now, if I want to rent to own now I'm trapped in this subscription. I would not have made an exception to my policy about subscription software if these were the terms I was agreeing to.

I won't kill off a project over this, obviously, so I guess I'm hooked. I'll keep paying the subscription until I get to 12 months and own a license a little sooner than I thought I would. But I don't care for the new terms and I don't think it's very honest to change them like this. What if I'd remembered to pause a couple weeks ago, before I got billed for June, and before I found out about the changes? Would I just be outta luck? (I know this was announced in some way in advance of the email I just got, but this is the first I've heard of it.)

In the end, maybe it does matter more to me that it's cheaper. But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak. I don't like it.

On a more productive level: I have some questions about how the new system works. As I understand it, when you purchase a license after 12 months, it's a license for whatever minor patch SD happened to be on when your 12 months ran out, and there's no way to get updates to it at all, whatsoever, except for hotfixes. If you ever want access to an update on a permanent license you have to resubscribe for 12 months and then pay full price for a second license for the later version. Is that correct?
Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:59:27 pm