Author Topic: New Substance changes  (Read 19411 times)

The answer is yes for the lapse between the end of your maintenance and the upgrade.

The answer is yes for the lapse between the end of your maintenance and the upgrade.

Sorry to do this, but "Yes, my understanding was correct, in which case 'No' is the answer to the actual question itself?"

I hope you meant my self-written answer to the question was correct.

I have a habit of doing this, writing things two ways, and then it's not clear to which comment the person was replying.  It's not a problem in conversation, but can create confusion in a forum like this.  Sorry.

I'll try to be crystal clear this time...  A or B?

QUESTION:  If I don't "renew" at the end of my twelve-month period (maybe I wait18 months), will I need to pay full price the next time?
a) Need to pay full price if support has lasped
b) As an existing customer, you still get discounted price, even if your support lapsed

P.S.
I will probably keep it current anyway, but am just checking.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

B :)

If there is no $$ penalty for getting on and off of maintenance than this is a great model. I too was alarmed when I first saw the emails, and wanted to know if I still had access to my software (owned it still) if maintenance lapsed.

I don't know I buy that there is more clarity with buying 12 months of time. Right now I buy SP 2.0.. I know based on past development that I'll likely get all the way to 2.5,2.6, maybe even 2.7 for my money and there will by major updates in there (getting 18 months for 75$ BTW). With the 12 months who's to say what makes it into that time frame especially the way everyone is being corralled into the same renew dates. It certainly gives Alleg the power to hold back a big feature till after those dates when 99% of ppls renewals come up at the same time.

Its interesting. And in time the renewals will space out.. Anyways its a business, we want them to do well, its a smart plan, and spaces income etc.
Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:19:24 pm

We expect the renewal dates to quickly spread out evenly over the year, forcing us to release interesting stuff all the time to keep people on maintenance, rather than have a single upgrade date for everybody like we do today :)

I quite like the new model as it is much more clear for how long your software will be kept up to date. When I bought designer 5 I only got half a year out of it before 6 came out. With the new model you get a guaranteed full year.

My one concern would be compatibility. Right now, for designer, some people are on the last patch of five, and most others on the most resent of 6. That's just a single compatibility issue that can be taken into account fairly easily by, for instance, people publishing on substance share.

How does the new model take this into account? Will version-braking updates like the addition or changes to atomic nodes be bundled into one update per year or so? Or is every update going to be an issue for people who aren't up-to-date?
Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:21:21 pm

How does the new model take this into account? Will version-braking updates like the addition or changes to atomic nodes be bundled into one update per year or so? Or is every update going to be an issue for people who aren't up-to-date?

The problem already happens today, as some users were using Substance Designer 5.0, some others 5.1, 5.2, some others Painter 2.3 which is not compatible with Designer 6, etc.

We try to make as little compatibility changes as possible when it comes to the file format and the Substance Engine. We will try to keep it this way.
Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:35:08 pm
Head of Product Management

First of all, I can say the Substance painter is a great product.
The price is also eligible.

But... i think this is the wrong way, sorry but i buy a software product and i expect software updates for free up to 2.99 or minimum 12 months after buy.
Usually from 3.0 a mayor release upgrade for money is for me absolutely justified and normal.

I pay for few months first time substance painter 2.5. and now i read, sorry we support you with updates only till september 2017, i am very happy about this information and "if you do not need you must not pay" :-) thanks again

Feel cheated since I do not even get 12 months updates, no matter, everyone has to decide for himself whether he can go on here or leave it completely.

I am waiting about the new versions and Is there something really good then I pay

Thanks, Jeremie.

I think this model is different, but not bad.

P.S.
@Jeremie - Remember to practice your relaxation techniques during the transition period.  Breathe....  ;)
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

I pay for few months first time substance painter 2.5. and now i read, sorry we support you with updates only till september 2017, i am very happy about this information and "if you do not need you must not pay" :-) thanks again

Feel cheated since I do not even get 12 months updates, no matter, everyone has to decide for himself whether he can go on here or leave it completely.

That's part of why we are changing the system, so that when you buy, you know you'll have 12 months of updates no matter what :)

If I buy an Allegorithmic product, what am I buying, in that can I just burn the program to disc and load it wherever I want ?  If yes, does this mean the program I can burn to disc after 11 months will be different to the one I use now (like more updated) ?  Is there a "gotcha" I am missing, like Modo-style online servers or something ?

Yeah, you can burn it and use it forever if you want and yes the one after 11 months will have more features :)

Thank you very much, Jeremie.

How will this work on Steam? And what will happen to existing copies of the software that are separate library entries, i.e. Substance Designer 5 and Substance Designer 6. Will these versions be removed and replaced with a single library entry just called Substance Designer? That would be a nice way to simplify the Steam library.

Also, how does this affect B2M?
Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:52:51 am

For Steam:
- Substance Painter 2 is going to be available up to September 30, 2017
- Substance Designer 6 is going to be available up to June 30, 2018

We will communicate later on how it will work after those dates.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management