Author Topic: Very slow response  (Read 11912 times)

Hey,

So I'm trying to convince my studio in adopting Substance Painter for our workflow. I've used Painter 1 for awhile at home, and they agreed to try out Painter 2 in the office. Except the response in the model view is unbearably slow (seconds to respond to a paint stroke). I've lowered resolution to 128x128 and only one layer, and still the same issue.

My specs are:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz
32GB of Ram.
Nvidia Quadro M4000
Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN Black
Windows 7

I've tried the registry edits recommended for the tdr delay, and editing some suggested options in the Nvidia control panel.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as the current standing of the app performance sadly won't get approval. :(

Otherwise I love the app at home. Thanks!

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Yes. I have no other apps running, anti-virus is turned off. I'm painting at the lowest resolution possible, with only one layer. And the mesh I'm using is just the standard MatMan mesh thats in the app.

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I'm also experiencing 'unusably' slow response in painter too. Version 1 worked like a dream on my old iMac but since version 2 I've not been able to use it for anything, thinking that it might have to do with my system not being powerful enough I've since upgraded...

Mac Pro (cheese grater)
2x 3ghz Xeon
128gb Ram
1tb SSD
Nvidia GTX 980Ti
macOS Sierra

But still absolutely unusable, moving cursor over viewport lags and paint stroke delay makes it impossible to do anything even on a simple mesh with one UDIM and one layer.

are these issues going to be addressed in future updates? please can you advise on the best course of action 

Cheers

Please attach a log file, like described in the link in my previous post.
-----------

I'm also having some bad lag issues when painting. I also have a lot of "red bar" loading and waiting for painter to respond despite only having color, height and NM as maps and resolution set at 2k. I'm only using one smart material and a basic over lay material with a mask. Only two texture sets. I've attached a log file.

Ryzen 7 1700
16 gigs ram
Nvidia GTX 1070 SC
2 tb HDD

Same here, very slow to register a stroke at first, and every subsequent stroke takes a few seconds to respond.

Version 2.6.1 didn't have these issues.

Can't attach log file.

-j

Hm, I guess nobody knows. Thats not good.

Did you check the performance page as mentioned in my first post ?
-----------

Yes I did. I tried it again today and it seems to happen when I drop the stroke opacity for the brush and paint in many strokes. It seems like Painter just cant handle painting in layers of color.

My mesh is less than 2k faces and I'm only painting in rough and color. Only one UV sheet, 2k size, one layer, nothing extravagant. This should really not be an issue. I'm running on a Ryzen 1700 with a GTX 1070 so its not a potato computer. Also to note, I tested this on a AMD 8350 with a GTX660 and it performs about the same.
Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:32:04 pm

Both computers should be running that kind of operation without any issue, so something is really boggind down the tool.
Any way you could record a video of what you are seeing?

Yeah, here is a link to a youtube video I posted just now. https://youtu.be/ibf5Hw6yeZs

This is one of Painters good days. It usually starts almost immediate and lags a little harder than what you see in this video. Ive tried both direct x and OpenGL when importing models as well as suggestions around the web such as Nvidia control settings.
Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:55:00 am

I am also having issues with painter since 2017 update altogether. I messed around with a lot of settings and applications that are running on my system and still have no idea what was causing the problem. Also one application might be a very very big problem because it has screen overlay. And it's mouse driver/utility for A4 tech mouses, called Bloody6. Since I have not given it permission to start with windows painter is running much smoother. Even when I am playing deezer in background and have youtube open.

Here is an screenshot from nvidia control panel with the settings. Something here also might be a slowdown, have no real idea but with these settings it works for me. Also I would like to mention that I have put complete substance painter folder in trusted list on my anti-virus (360 total security).

BUT there is still a problem when starting to draw any line, sometimes, there is something like 0.1-0.3 second delay before color starts showing on a model which is not a problem when working with stamps but when I want fine line then it really is a problem. And to make stuff worse it happens erratically with no pattern when will it happen again. So it works fine, works fine, and then starts lagging.

I've attached a log file if that could help to determine the problem. I could post the video if that would help.

And with everything said I am thinking that the google backup and sync might actually be the root of the problem. Since it gave me system wide hogs for a few times.

A video would be appreciated indeed. If you can capture the whole interface too.
-----------