Author Topic: Meet MAT: Andrew Bacon entry  (Read 5862 times)

Classic Computer Mat - This is the concept I decided to go with while taking some artistic license with adding details that may have a bit more color or flair then older computer hardware from back in the day. I like the idea of a old Monochrome CRT display type robot looking feller. Complete with some old style Allegorithmic Substance Painter floppy disks. Retro style is back! He may be old and damaged but he can still get the job done! One moment please while he spools up...............

Ver. 1.0 Final Version
I added an access panel to his back, vents on the side of his head/monitor and removed the green glow from the base as I felt it detracted from the figure itself. Given enough time I could improve some things and add more details going forward but overall I am proud of my final version. Best of luck to all contestants!
t=522]https://forum.allegorithmic.com/attachments/images/979cbf5ef52d487ae277cff85b62d935.PNG[/img]

Ver 0.2

Ver 0.3

Ver 0.4 -  Added a input/ouput screen to his belly. Nice little Zork! reference in there and added contrast and brightness buttons on the sides of his head. Will be adding some keys to his belly as well. Going to work on adding vent to the back of his head, a power plug somewhere, and perhaps for added fun some damage areas where you can see some cables as well as need to get the "scan lines" going through the lettering.

Ver 0.5 Added greener tint to screen, some damage to his chassis revealing some classic computer ribbon cables. Made lines pass through lettering for a better "old school" feel.

Previous Concepts //////////////////

Concept Idea 1 : Rusted Eye Mat

Just tooling around with some ideas. I like the thought of it having a fleshy/real type eye and in an creepy rusted suit of some sort.

Concept Idea 2 : Astronaut Mat

Concept Idea 3 : Dive Suit Mat

Concept Idea 4 : Lava Golem Mat

Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:49:59 pm

Really great idea's. I was thinking about an eye too. Love the astronaut Idea. Keep it up

Really great idea's. I was thinking about an eye too. Love the astronaut Idea. Keep it up

Thank you very much! Yeah that space just is begging for an eye eh? :P

Wow, the eye looks really cool! I just think that the emission draw too much attention and makes everything else seem too dark. But nevertheless very impressive!

Wow, the eye looks really cool! I just think that the emission draw too much attention and makes everything else seem too dark. But nevertheless very impressive!

Hey thanks! If I decide to go with that concept I'll for sure revisit the emissive properties.

Decided to go with the retro computer Mat. Excited to keep adding and fixing and messing with the various details. Fun!

As I'm old as the hills and twice as dusty, retro computing is awesome.  You really need to show the scan lines on the display though, that would help put it at the right time. 

As I'm old as the hills and twice as dusty, retro computing is awesome.  You really need to show the scan lines on the display though, that would help put it at the right time.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah I had added lines to the screen, I guess perhaps they are not pronounced enough? I'll try to edit it to make the lines go through the letters as well. Perhaps that will help!

Posted an update, have the lines going through the lettering now and added a greener tint to the screen. :)

Looks much better!  :)

Looks much better!  :)

Thanks!   ;D

Great entry! How did you fix the unwrap issue because the UV islands are overlapping? are you using UDIMs or?

Great entry! How did you fix the unwrap issue because the UV islands are overlapping? are you using UDIMs or?

Thanks! Um....hmmm. Well I just loaded up the sample Mat model that's already in Substance Painter and just started painting? If UDIM's means it has the head, body , base separate/texture sets that's just how it loaded and I started to go. Sorry if that doesn't answer your question. Not familiar with the term.
Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:33:13 pm

Put my Sketchfab post in this thread. Almost ready to submit! This is fun!

That was fun! Final version submitted. Best of luck to all other contestants!