Author Topic: Painter to 3dsmax 2014  (Read 1574 times)

Hello Everyone,

Well over the weekend i decided to part with the cash for SP2 as i feel its a fantastic piece of software.  I have bought this software to continue doing modelling / texturing for a game called DCS World which is Combat Flight Simulation Software (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/)

My old workflow was Model in Maya - texture in Photoshop, import into 3DSmax 2014 and genrate the EDM.
*EDM is the model format that DCS uses which comes from a proprietary plugin that Eagle Dynamics wrote, which, unfortunatly doesn't work with anything older that 3dsmax 2014, so i am stuck with 2014 verison.

Anyways, i have, after a week of research been able to export SP2 textures and get these sort of close using Arnold for Maya 2017, which is great.

However the issue I am faced with is how do i get these into Max 2014 (not being a 3dsmax user myself, I just know the basics as I use Maya).  Checking the forums i see that there are a few posts about how to get these into Max using V-Ray (I have tried to follow along but i dont think that max has V-ray as i dont see the material that they show.

Before i just imported the materials into the standard max material and generated the EDM from there and that seemed to work

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello Everyone,

Well over the weekend i decided to part with the cash for SP2 as i feel its a fantastic piece of software.  I have bought this software to continue doing modelling / texturing for a game called DCS World which is Combat Flight Simulation Software (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/)

My old workflow was Model in Maya - texture in Photoshop, import into 3DSmax 2014 and genrate the EDM.
*EDM is the model format that DCS uses which comes from a proprietary plugin that Eagle Dynamics wrote, which, unfortunatly doesn't work with anything older that 3dsmax 2014, so i am stuck with 2014 verison.

Anyways, i have, after a week of research been able to export SP2 textures and get these sort of close using Arnold for Maya 2017, which is great.

However the issue I am faced with is how do i get these into Max 2014 (not being a 3dsmax user myself, I just know the basics as I use Maya).  Checking the forums i see that there are a few posts about how to get these into Max using V-Ray (I have tried to follow along but i dont think that max has V-ray as i dont see the material that they show.

Before i just imported the materials into the standard max material and generated the EDM from there and that seemed to work

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,

Vray is a 3rd party renderer and does work well with Substance. For 3ds Max 2014, I don't think you will have a good option for using Substance Painter maps. The mental ray version in 2014 doesn't support GGX.

Cheers,
wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja