Author Topic: Meet MAT - Pavel Vlasov entry. Clock MAT.  (Read 33746 times)

Wow! Really turned out beautifully.

Thank you!

I don't care for the wrinkles at the top of his back, between the shoulders.

There is little to no way to connect his "head" to the body in my case except ornament on the hands. I've decided that it could look more connected with some parts of his clothes tucked under the head. Maybe it won't work in the long run.
I'll check it out after some additional texturing.  ;)

I don't care for the wrinkles at the top of his back, between the shoulders.

There is little to no way to connect his "head" to the body in my case except ornament on the hands. I've decided that it could look more connected with some parts of his clothes tucked under the head. Maybe it won't work in the long run.
I'll check it out after some additional texturing.  ;)

I see what you're saying.  I never thought about that on your model.  Agreed, he doesn't have a neck.  Usually I am the one being too literal when working on a project.  I think the suit looked better when it was flatter there, but the final decision is in your capable hands, of course.  Thanks for listening.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

wow.

I did a similar concept to yours, though went the opposite of sharp. Loving the level of detail!

Absolutely top notch, loving all of the metalwork detailing.  I considered a clock face early on but thought it wouldn't work so well but I've been thoroughly proven wrong by this!  Great work 

wow.

I did a similar concept to yours, though went the opposite of sharp. Loving the level of detail!

Absolutely top notch, loving all of the metalwork detailing.  I considered a clock face early on but thought it wouldn't work so well but I've been thoroughly proven wrong by this!  Great work 

Thank you guys.

Hey! Look! There has been someone here!  ???

Can't help but stare in awe at your progress every time you post. Incredible!

I wanted to ask how you get your heightmap edges so clean? Once you submitted, may I ask for a quick step-by-step on how your layers are set up on a cog or something. When I did mine, the cog seems to bulge out from the mesh, rather than have a hard edge (even with hardness set to 1).

Cheers! And keep up the amazing work!

Can't help but stare in awe at your progress every time you post. Incredible!
Cheers! And keep up the amazing work!

Thanks for your appreciation!

I wanted to ask how you get your heightmap edges so clean? Once you submitted, may I ask for a quick step-by-step on how your layers are set up on a cog or something. When I did mine, the cog seems to bulge out from the mesh, rather than have a hard edge (even with hardness set to 1).

I'm just repeating every stroke for 20 times like a maniac until it's perfect.  :P
Mainly this is the reason.

Considering cogs... Use stencils, not alphas when imprinting your hard-edged stuff. Somehow stencils gives to me much more cleaner look. If that's not enough for a good hard edge then put some blur (very small value like 0.1 or even 0.05) on the layer mask and tighten it up with levels.

For sure, I could give you step-by-step on some things. No problem with this. Although my layer structure is pretty clutterd 'cos there is a lot of improvizsation and due to Mat being my first complete project in Painter.)
Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:57:27 am

Ah brilliant!

Same with my Mat, first real texturing of the sorts :)

I'll check out your method, and will report back with results. Cheers for the info! Good luck in the contest - though I think you have it in the bag :D

Considering cogs... Use stencils, not alphas when imprinting your hard-edged stuff. Somehow stencils gives to me much more cleaner look. If that's not enough for a good hard edge then put some blur (very small value like 0.1 or even 0.05) on the layer mask and tighten it up with levels.

That's a great tip.  Thanks!

The "someone has been here" is funny.

I've enjoyed every image you've posted.  I look forward to seeing lots more from you in the "Showcase" forum in the future.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Beatiful!! Congratz! I think we have a winner.. ;D

One of the most pro looking ones from those I've seen so far. Clean execution. If this follows the rules, and doesn't bend them much, then I think you may get into top 3.

BTW, from the last full render I saw, I was going to recommend improving the base, but then I saw the latest pic showing just the base, where it already looks much better. Could you post the final/most recent full render? I think it's good practice to edit the latest version into the first post, in long threads like this one. Unless the forum forbids it after certain time.

Anyway, good job :)

I've enjoyed every image you've posted.  I look forward to seeing lots more from you in the "Showcase" forum in the future.

Thank you once again. I hope I'll find time to do my own projects this year...

Beatiful!! Congratz! I think we have a winner.. ;D
:-[ Oh... Thank you very much.

One of the most pro looking ones from those I've seen so far. Clean execution. If this follows the rules, and doesn't bend them much, then I think you may get into top 3.

Gracias! It follows.) Only Substance Painter, several alphas and SD to create normal map for the chain and to combine my masks for the final dirt pass.

So here it is. Clock MAT. Final version.

Clock MAT by StubbornFunkyDonkey on Sketchfab

Really cool design, look and feel :) . Amazing job !  :o ;D

Really cool design, look and feel :) . Amazing job !  :o ;D
Thanks!

I've finally looked through several first pages of entries and man! There are some gorgeous ones! I want to wish a good luck to other artists and to thank Allegorithmic and all the sponsors for such an amazing competition. It's been a great pleasure to be part of it. ;)

Absolute masterpiece! I'd be shocked if this isn't one of the top entries.