Author Topic: Meet MAT - Announcement and Rules  (Read 110726 times)

@titaniyms You are free to submit any idea. It's likely that multiple entries will be similar, in this case the quality of the execution will make the difference.

I have a question about ideas.
I have worked on concepts for a few days ,to find best design and color variation ( i haven't published it, but i have concept lists). and today i see this idea in one of published submissions. If our models will have same idea, but my will have another realisation - can i submit it? Or it's better to create another concept ? It's really sad to think that i wasted so many time :(

From one side it's not bad at all, especially with such limitation. For example first i was thinking about camera+lens iteration but changed mind and 1-2 days later someone else posted it.
From another side it's a bit tricky and looks like copying and luck of ideas. But again ideas could be same but finished work can be different.
BUT it's just my opinions!

With so many participants, there are bound to be some similar ideas... camera lenses, giant eyeballs, smiley faces, astronauts, robots, clocks...  but even "similar themes" can still look very unique from one another.

As long as it does not look like a clone of the first submission, my advice is to proceed and not feel bad about it.

Also remember, posting in this forum is not mandatory.  There can be other official entries that we don't even see here.

ADDED... I didn't see Jeremie's reply when I was posting (previous/next page issue).  It looks like my response was on target.
Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:47:38 pm
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

thank you for the reply,crazy patience you got there.

iam having lots of fun already.  ;D

@demonslayer You can use any texture or alpha, you just can't resculpt the whole object in ZBrush and bring that as a normal bake. The limit of what you can and cannot do is pretty blurry but the main point is: the creative process has to happen mainly in Painter.

@janis.reinberger It doesn't matter which school or University, a student ID is all you need.
Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:31:57 pm

Hello!
I believe my question wasn't answered ^^'

Is it allowed to paint MAT as a tribute to some universe? For example, painting it to look like a stormtrooper, or a comics superhero (of course, not showing any logos nor any other thing that would directly infringe copyright)

Jeremie,

I am trying to bake down some custom normal for the model, but one thing is frustrating more than I can describe...The poorly executed unwrap on the base mesh!

Is I allowable to re-unwrap the base mesh to get better texel density? PLEASE say that that's allowable, because its killing me to see all the wasted space!

P.S. Not sure if its been asked, but are we locked at 2k textures or can we up that to 4k?

Thanks!
Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:16:36 am

@Andre Webe You can modify the UVs but I'll reiterate that baking custom normals is not recommended. This is a texture paiting contest, not a high poly modeling one. As for the resolution, you are not locked and can create a 4k texture set if needed.

@Jorge Barros You can as long as it's not a pure copy of existing material/logo/figurine.

Ahh, so by "not recommended", I assume that's a nice way of saying "don't do this, we may disqualify you"? I just clothed him, which would be next to impossible just using a texturing pipeline. So, I ask again, is this a complete no-go? Should I scrap what I have and take a different approach, one that does not require modeling some clothing for normal baking?

Thanks in advance!

@Andre Webe You can modify the UVs but I'll reiterate that baking custom normals is not recommended. This is a texture paiting contest, not a high poly modeling one. As for the resolution, you are not locked and can create a 4k texture set if needed.

@Jorge Barros You can as long as it's not a pure copy of existing material/logo/figurine.

There are a few entries out there with full on clothing that was painted using the height channel, so yeah, I would recommend not going with the sculpted clothing, this would clearly be an unfair advantage compared to the guys who handpainted their cloth and folds :)

Gotcha!  ;D

There are a few entries out there with full on clothing that was painted using the height channel, so yeah, I would recommend not going with the sculpted clothing, this would clearly be an unfair advantage compared to the guys who handpainted their cloth and folds :)

Can I add emissive channel on 02_body and 03_base ?

and I also bake thickness map inside substance, is that allowed ?
Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:10:55 am

Can I add emissive channel on 02_body and 03_base ?

and I also bake thickness map inside substance, is that allowed ?

Emissive allowed and thickness too.

@alric21 Make sure you didn't check the option to use UDIMs when creating your project.
@Takeko No. The mesh cannot be modified.
@Romanji We'll allow modifying the UVs since the original UVs are not optimal to keep the texel ration uniform on the whole object.
@AmitKilo You can use emissive maps, Iray doesn't support tesselation in Painter at the moment. You can paint at any resolution. You cannot change the shader, so no cutoff or opacity channel. You can still use Iray's options to create a translucent material such as glass or wax.

How do you go about creating translucent materials?  For example if I wanted to make Mat's face plate glass, how do I drive the translucency?  How do I activate it in iray?  Is there a texture channel that allows you to create this effect?  I am looking at transmissive, but I am unsure how to get it working...

Most solutions on the 'net call for opacity, which of course we cannot use. 

Please halp?

can i use any texture ..from google or any pattern and use it in Substance painter like i want

Hi, can we upload our submission on a higher resolution than 1200p?

Thanks.

Hi, can we upload our submission on a higher resolution than 1200p?

Thanks.

Yes