Author Topic: Meet MAT - Announcement and Rules  (Read 51961 times)

@urban_elf Yes,
@Netti No, the Texture sets must be kept the same.

Not sure if it's answered yet, but in the downloads you give us watermarks for the submission. Where do we need to place them, or does it matter..? What about image effects on the submission renders?

You can do whatever you want with the watermark, no specific rule.
You are free to apply any effect on the final image as long as it doesn't distract from the subject.

Just to be sure, is it okay to re-bake the normal and AO maps (in Substance Painter) after adding alphas (simple shapes created in Illustrator) to the height channel to get more details and definition?

Yes.

So the contest is international with no exceptions? A lot of states or countries have limitations for foreign contest. So I'm a bit surprise by the international.
Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:04:05 pm

I might be too optimistic asking this, but if I submit my MAT as a student, and it is really really good, could I still be eligible to win the prizes of the non-student first place?

If you submit MAT as a student you will only compete for the student prize.
But if you want you can compete for the "regular" top-three, without ticking the student checkbox, but you won't be in the competition for the student prize.

Thank you!

More people should have read the rules i just realized.
Some users post freely about their zbrush remodelling of faces and details and get crazy details out of it.
I do that every day at job.

Because of that i set myself a personal limit beside of what the allegorithmic team set.

I told myself to :

-stick to a handfull of base-shape alphas mostly out of the software and only handpainted highmaps
-only use downloaded stickers where necessary due to UV limitation (bad UVlayout)
-Photoshop only for editing masks created in SP,no Texture gen in PS,no Zbrush no Xnormal.

So far it was a very hard task with countless hours and a dinosaur layerstack,and i had to dig quit deep into SP to get it right.
But i guess that is exactly what the guys wanted us to do?

Exactly what i feel, the temptation to comeback to my common pipeline is huge, but resist to it, and it does exposed me new things i never realized possible with painter.

Some users post freely about their zbrush remodelling of faces and details and get crazy details out of it.

Because of that i set myself a personal limit beside of what the allegorithmic team set.

I told myself to :

-stick to a handfull of base-shape alphas mostly out of the software and only handpainted highmaps
-only use downloaded stickers where necessary due to UV limitation (bad UVlayout)
-Photoshop only for editing masks created in SP,no Texture gen in PS,no Zbrush no Xnormal.

So far it was a very hard task with countless hours and a dinosaur layerstack,and i had to dig quit deep into SP to get it right.

I told myself to :

I don't think you should be worried to lose against someone who sculpted all their details. You're right, it's not the point of the competition, and I don't think the judges would pick anyone who did sculpt because of the unfair advantage.

Interesting how they will know. We need submit just 2 images. Even in Sketchfab how they can check.

You are free to apply any effect on the final image as long as it doesn't distract from the subject.

Hello everyone ! Amazing contest, thanks Allegotithmic. Jeremie, I have three questions for you :
Just to be sure I understood, can we NOT use at all the watermarks, or are we encouraged to use it ?
Can we do wathever we want in the Activate Post Effects, like play with the tone mapping, vignetting, Lens Distortion, etc?
If we do a sports character, can we use a flag from some country in his cloths ?

Thanks !

Are we allowed to rotate the environment to any degree we like or should it alwayse be 250?

Hello everyone ! Amazing contest, thanks Allegotithmic. Jeremie, I have three questions for you :
Just to be sure I understood, can we NOT use at all the watermarks, or are we encouraged to use it ?
Can we do wathever we want in the Activate Post Effects, like play with the tone mapping, vignetting, Lens Distortion, etc?
If we do a sports character, can we use a flag from some country in his cloths ?

Thanks !

I believe the answers are:  Yes (no), yes, yes.

You are not required to use the watermark.  Just like all the materials they provided, you can use them, or not, at your discretion.

I'm pretty sure you can use aftereffects (coloring, lense flair, etc.) because all those features are right at your fingertips inside Substance Painter.

Yes, you can use logos and stuff.  Flags too, I'm sure.  It's art.  If you tried to sell an "Iron Man" or "Superman" character, then you'd have to worry about copy writes and licensing.  But for artwork like this project, you have a lot of freedom, and Allegorithmic (I forgot which moderator) has said it's okay.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

I told myself to :

I don't think you should be worried to lose against someone who sculpted all their details. You're right, it's not the point of the competition, and I don't think the judges would pick anyone who did sculpt because of the unfair advantage.

Interesting how they will know. We need submit just 2 images. Even in Sketchfab how they can check.

That's a good question.

My layerstack is simply huge. There are about 10 alphas for gears and clock hands that I've made in PS and one stencil with ornaments. And that's it. Nothing more. But c'mon guys! SP is not even in my usual pipeline. It's more or less the first time I'm using it to complete any project. I'm having SO MUCH FUN figuring out how to do some things inside SP with new methods. It's inventive, it's creative! Probably it's the best contest I've ever seen due to all these limitations. It boosts your imagination so much!
And then there are some people using their usual pipeline without a twinge of conscience...
Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:01:26 pm

I told myself to :

That's a good question.

My layerstack is simply huge. There are about 10 alphas for gears and clock hands that I've made in PS and one stencil with ornaments. And that's it. Nothing more. But c'mon guys! SP is not even in my usual pipeline. It's more or less the first time I'm using it to complete any project. I'm having SO MUCH FUN figuring out how to do some things inside SP with new methods. It's inventive, it's creative! Probably it's the best contest I've ever seen due to all these limitations. It boosts your imagination so much!
And then there are some people using their usual pipeline without a twinge of conscience...

Exactly. But some people just want to win. Not learn something new and have fun with it.

And be careful with lots of layers. I lost half of my work because can't switch to body texture set. And my pc not old or slow and still...