Author Topic: Create input slots in a material.  (Read 9108 times)

Hi there,

I'm sure that this is covered somewhere in the documentation, but I wasn't able to find it: I see that all my output nodes in a graph/material, will become available as slots when importing the material in another one, but I don't know how to expose specific input nodes.
For example, in my new graph I would like to specify which images  affect my subgraph.
Thanks!

In my view, the best way to use input image nodes is to set up the graph with "placeholder"-bitmaps to be able to evaluate the result, then replace the bitmaps by input image nodes.

You don´t have to expose image input nodes - they will show up as empty slots in the published sbsar.

I think, using image input nodes is a very powerful feature of substance designer, especially when it comes to templates.

@mario.baldi :
I don't know how to expose specific input nodes.
What you're looking for are the "Color Image Input" or "Grayscale Image Input" nodes in the "Add Node" graph menu.

@michael_11 :
In my view, the best way to use input image nodes is to set up the graph with "placeholder"-bitmaps to be able to evaluate the result, then replace the bitmaps by input image nodes.
While working on your subgraph in Designer, you can replace the empty bitmap in the input with any bitmap simply by drag'n'dropping it on the input. node.

You don´t have to expose image input nodes - they will show up as empty slots in the published sbsar.

I think, using image input nodes is a very powerful feature of substance designer, especially when it comes to templates.

Hello,

That is correct, when you add an input image, it will appear as an input when you instance the graph into another graph or publish the substance.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks to everyone! Can't wait to spend another weekend learning SD :)

While working on your subgraph in Designer, you can replace the empty bitmap in the input with any bitmap simply by drag'n'dropping it on the input. node.

cool, thanks for the hint!